Critique of the Week May 18-24: Post any Photo for C&C

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, May 18, 2012.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is a thread for people who would like some constructive feedback on their photos. You may submit a photo once per week (or up to three in a single post, if you have a set of related images). If you would like feedback about something specific (exposure, cropping, processing, etc.), then be sure to include that information.

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to offer comments and critiques, regardless of whether or not they have submitted their own photos.

Anyone may re-post this thread after it has expired.

2. Rich-212 macrumors member

I'd like to go 1st if that's ok...

I went out with my tripod for a rare evening outing. I was trying to get the reflection in the water - I'd be interested to know what you think.

If the photo is too small - the original can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtpalmi/6957792854/in/photostream)

Thanks

R

Attached Files:

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

If you were looking at getting reflection on the water as your objective then you might want to think about framing the picture with the "The Mailbox" at the very top of the frame so that more of the reflection can be seen in the water at the bottom. There is this empty sky at the top and not enough reflection on the bottom of the image. Just a thought. :)

4. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/320s f/6.3 ISO 400 Canon 100mm Macro

Dale

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

^Great detail on the flower, I may have chosen a different coloured background, I find this mix slightly distracting.

Sydney, Australia.

Not sure how I feel about the umbrellas overlapping the bridge, having the bridge "slot in" between the umbrella and palm tree. It breaks the traditional rule of not obstructing key elements.

[​IMG]

6. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks. I agree with the background in my photo but that was the only angle I could get too with this flower.

I like your photo a lot. The tones and textures in the sky and background counter the issues you mentioned. What set-up did you use for this? Any filters?

Dale

7. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Thanks, IIRC it was a basic setup - K-5, standard 16-45mm lens and tripod.
    ISO 80 and RAW for max DR.
    I shot this right at the time of equilibrium of light in the "blue hour".

8. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Yep... the colours in the pic start to harmonise, bringing the light sources into balance. A nice intimate feel close up, as a counterpoint to the great arch of the bridge beyond. Would look good as a poster I think...

9. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

A couple of picture I took at a local park area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flower is one of my favourite pictures I've taken.