Cronyism in the Obama administration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dime21, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dime21 macrumors 6502

Everyone's familiar with the Solyndra scandal now. But who knew this was just the tip of the iceberg? :eek: Gov't grant money for everyone! ... particularly if you helped get me into office. The corruption and cronyism runs deep with this one. Is anyone really surprised by this?

Link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...ative-energy-programs-became-green-graft.html

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

T-minus one post until, "But so-and-so did it, too."

3. mcrain, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Are you surprised that alternative energy companies supported a candidate that supported alternative energy? If so, you're going to be floored by this. The oil industry supports the GOP. Yeah, I know. Shocking.

Oh, and if the terms of the government backed loan program were that the grants were for alternative energy, don't you think the grants might go to companies that do alternative energy? Surprise! Surprise!

(edit2) This isn't a so and so did it too, this is just such a lame complaint I don't even know where to begin. It's like saying President Obama's administration is bad because they use paper, or you can't trust anything Gore says because he drives cars, owns a big house, has an airplane and uses carbon. It's just silly.

(edit3) Is there any indication that any of the grants were given based on the "cronyism" vs. whether the projects met the criteria? If so, then obviously, that's not right. But, just to say that cronyism exists because money went to people who supported a candidate is an overreach. Show me the preferential treatment or the applications that were denied from entities that were more qualified.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And here he is again folks.

It's SHOWTIME!!!! :rolleyes:

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Two GAO reports, including one that has yet to be released, indicate problems within the administration's handling of 'green' companies that relate to donation bundlers.

From the Central for Public Integrity's iWatch News:

Simply put, if the Obama administration put political donors in the front of the line, it's cronyism.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I agree, and I will happily say so should there be evidence of cronyism. Should the GAO reveal it, then there should be political repurcussions. The problem is, that because the GAO is apparently a partisan agency that can't be trusted... can you believe them? The GOP doesn't.

7. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

congratulations.....you were FIRST to express bring up the idea :p

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A huge part of our problem. All started under Saint Reagan gave the treasury to Don Regan.

10. 184550 Guest

Reminds me of a thread I started earlier summer from an iWatch News report via Politico.

Seems as if things haven't changed.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok. I'll bite.

Every administration going back many years does this.

Look at the oil industry. The security industry. The medical industry.

It goes on and on and on and on. It doesn't matter what party you're affiliated with.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

But Obama ran on hope and change. He even softened his position on lobbyists working in the WH. Change my ass.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Oh. I agree with that whole heartedly. He's disappointed me also. I was

just sayin' :)

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, you would have to be pretty naive to believe that there would be any meaningful change.

15. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

And this gentle readers is where the poster got his two nickels from to allow his nickel and dime masthead.

KGB

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. This is a vicious cycle that keeps going and going and going. What I find astonishing (not really) is that the OP is languishing only over THIS administration. Never mind those done by ExxonMobil, nee Exxon, nee Standard Oil of NJ.. or Mobil, nee Vacuum, nee Standard Oil of NY.. or Chevron, nee Standard Oil of California... or even Amoco, nee Standard Oil of Indiana... or the other Standard Oil companies (another 15 of them), all owned and for a time, ran by the VPOTUS of the United States, Nelson D. Rockefeller (R).

Don't get me started on the TVA, or those companies that got slapped by the Sherman or Clayton Antitrust Acts, which the bulk were done under Taft.

Funny.. how most of those companies that were slapped around by the Gov't, happened under the Blues, while they got away with everything under the Reds. I'll admit, Solyndra was a bad thing to go through. But when you compare that to, say, Enron, Arthur Andersen, Tyco, MCI Worldcom, Standard Oil, all of the S&L banks in the 90s.. Think about when they happened, and which party had the WH and Congress..

BL.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I forgot to mention Haliburton.

*cough* Cheney/Bush *cough*

LOVE the contextual search function !

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Good point.

So, dime21, what about the cronyism in the Bush, Bush, Ford, Roosevelt, Roosevelt, and Taft years?

BL.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, I'm not at all surprised because dime21 has always been a vicious partisan. However, I don't like cronyism no matter what the party or supporting businesses. Moreover, this kind of nonsense allows the Republicans to attack not only the administration, but green technology companies writ large, because it doesn't fit neatly within their own nests.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The federal govt has become a tool for whatever party is running it at the time, its why both party's spend now almost a billion $$$ to get into the whitehouse. Winner gets to screw the American people and help out their favorite special interests. Bush Did it, Obama is doing it. Thats why the fed is into every single thing after decades of this. Want to put a end to all this crap? vote Ron Paul, otherwise its the same old Cronyism.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's simply not true. Even if Ron Paul became president he would have to deal with congress to get anything done.

If you really want to put an end to this get rid of congress.

Otherwise things will remain the same.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, that won't do it either.

Get corporate money out of the electoral process and you will be closer to a solution.

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

As long as the supreme court insists that corporations are a person it will never happen.
    Just as there is a separation of church and state, there should also be a separation of corporations and state.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Unless you can find a group of men and women who don't enjoy a plush bank account and a hand shake from a billionaire every now and again then this is never going to happen.