Cross-application playback failure

Vegan Golden Knights

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Toronto
In the last week a problem has arisen on my Macbook Pro (Mid-2015 with High Sierra) where video and audio playback becomes frozen on all applications -- YouTube, Facebook, Quicktime, Adobe Premiere and Audition -- until I reboot. I'm not sure how to articulate this problem...is a "playback engine" crashing? Might it be a virus or malware?

Is RAM an issue? I have many work-related tabs open right now, and they all reopen after reboot.

Vegan Golden Knights

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Toronto
In the last week a problem has arisen on my Macbook Pro (Mid-2015 with High Sierra) where video and audio playback becomes frozen on all applications -- YouTube, Facebook, Quicktime, Adobe Premiere and Audition -- until I reboot. I'm not sure how to articulate this problem...is a "playback engine" crashing? Might it be a virus or malware?

Is RAM an issue? I have many work-related tabs open right now, and they all reopen after reboot.

=============================

Months later and the condition persists. At first I thought it might be while I am using an Adobe app with playback (Premiere Pro, Audition, After Effects) but it has happened since with just Chrome, Safari and/or Firefox browsers running.

The workaround is to reboot and the problem goes away for a day or two (though it's happened twice in a day). Are there any known viruses or malware, or bugs in High Sierra that might impair the playback of any video in any application?*

* all applications except for VLC player; after other apps stop playing, VLC will play video but not audio.

RK

BrianBaughn

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know of any malware that would cause that and I can't think of a reason that someone would write such malware.

When you open the "Audio Midi Setup" application what audio devices do you see listed?

Vegan Golden Knights

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Toronto
I don't know of any malware that would cause that and I can't think of a reason that someone would write such malware.

When you open the "Audio Midi Setup" application what audio devices do you see listed?

Hi, thanks, BrianBaugn.

Launching Audio Midi Setup from the Utilities folder, I have on the left of the window labeled "Audio Devices" the following:

Built-in Microphone (2 ins / 0 outs)
Built-in Output (0 ins / 2 outs)
After Effects 13.7 (0 ins / 0 outs)

When After Effects is selected the right panel says: "Clock Source: No Devices in Aggregate"

(I'm not certain what this application does, but I'll see if anything's changed the next time the playback goes on the fritz.)