Cross Line Upgrade at Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enomi, Sep 15, 2013.

1. enomi macrumors newbie

Hi all, need some info if this can be done at the apple store.

I have an upgrade available for one of my lines, and would like to use that upgrade but give the phone to my significant other who has the other line.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have always thought the easiest way is to just activate the phone for the line you are doing the upgrade on, which will deactivate the phone that is currently on that line. If you are on AT&T then you can simply switch the sim cards around to get all the phones on the right number. If the sim cards are different sizes then you can get a replacement. CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint have a slightly different method.
    That method works if everyone is local. Some people call the carrier and do all this switching of IMEI numbers and everything to get the new phone to activate in the desired line, but I think the above method works with the least amount of complications or needing to involve any additional support from the carrier.

3. enomi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! That's what I am trying to avoid. Don't want to be calling AT&T or buying the phone at the AT&T store, since they are only receiving a limited number of phones, and I can't be there early.

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

You could just call AT&T and ask them to move the upgrade eligibility to the line you use. That will save swapping SIMs, etc.

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I don't think they can do this, I may be wrong but if I remember right contracts and upgrades have to be done as an alternate upgrade and can't physically be switched.

6. enomi thread starter macrumors newbie

I stopped by the AT&T store and was not offered this choice. The representative called it a cross upgrade. Can this be done at the Apple Store without involving AT&T?

7. thecurryman macrumors 6502

only at&t lets you do a cross upgrade. The apple store as well as non AT&T stores will just upgrade the line that is elegiable then switch sim cards out, but youll still have to get a new sim card for the line that was upgraded.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

You may want to plan on stopping by the AT&T store after the Apple store. I would recommend activating the new phone in the Apple store before going to AT&T. I am assuming the line with the upgrade does not already have an iPhone 5, so likely you will want to get a new SIM card that is the proper size. It should be handled quickly by AT&T. There may be other ways to handle this, and there may be AT&T representatives at the Apple store that can help you further.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have done the cross upgrade in the Apple store for the 4S and the 5. They can do it. Also, on launch day, the stores usually have people from different carriers there to help. Last year AT&T and Sprint were both there.

10. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I am going to be doing this. Apple cannot do it at their store.

I will be doing it at an apple store that is in a mall, which also has an ATT store.

So, my wife's phone will go inactive until I walk upstairs to the ATT store and get it re-activated.

I have Apple gift cards which is why I am doing this.

11. LostAggie macrumors 6502

When you do this the Sim card in her phone may deactivate and you will have to get her a new Sim card before she can use the phone.

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

The person from apple didn't tell me this, but that's not a big deal. Thanks for the heads up though!

13. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

@OP Yes the Apple store can process a cross line upgrade when you go in to get the phone. Just move her SIM card into the phone when you see her. Or take her in the Apple store with you and they will swap the SIMs there.

14. LostAggie macrumors 6502

I talked to the Apple Store today and they said they can do crossline upgrades with no issues.

15. Knowimagination macrumors 65832

Knowimagination

Last year I bought my 5 the day after launch and they still had AT&T reps in the apple store helping with things like this.

It did deactivate her sim so she had to go grab a new one but it was all pretty simple.

16. enomi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the info!

17. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Just for some added confirmation, back when I got my 4S, I used an upgrade from another eligible line. I just let them know as soon as we got started and they had no problem doing it. They didn't have to deactivate the actual upgrade line, switch sims, or anything.

It should still be the same for the 5S

18. billycuth macrumors 6502a

And this was at an Apple store? Good to know. This will be my first time ever upgrading there.

19. LostAggie macrumors 6502

They did say they can't do at the Arrowhead location so you might want to wait in line somewhere else. ;-)