Cross Upgrade a line in a family plan possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aaronchow, Apr 6, 2012.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

My wife has an iPhone 4, and she is not eligible for an upgrade until September, but my line is eligible for an upgrade now since I buy all of my phones full price. I search the web and some suggests that AT&T offers "cross-upgrade," which allows her to use my upgrade for her line.

Has anyone done this before? If so, how did you do it? Do you have to talk and beg an AT&T associate to do it for you?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

2. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

Forgot to mention that my wife wants to upgrade from 4 to 4S. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I've done it with ease (AT&T) and so can you.

4. breezyf808 macrumors regular

It can be done. Now tho ur contract will be tact on for another 2 years and if u want to upgrade in September u may and her line will be contracted for another two years

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Just tell them you wanna upgrade your line to the 4S and activate it. Once activated just switch sim cards and bam your done.

6. kilj0y macrumors member

Doubt he will use her upgrade in september, so it can be so it allows her to upgrade every year.

7. chdwil macrumors regular

Just upgrade your line and then switch sims. IMHO just wait for the next launch. It is already half way there. Then you can get her a 5 or whatever it will be called.

8. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone's answer. I will ask for a cross upgrade first. If they don't offer it, I will just upgrade my line and give it to my wife instead.

All of a sudden my wife wants to play with Siri so bad, and she doesn't want me to jail break her phone.......

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Don't know where this term "cross-upgrade" came from but yea. Just upgrade your line and activate the phone. Once it's activated just swap her sim into the phone and voila.

10. breezyf808 macrumors regular

This will work now... But when the "new" iPhone comes out, it supposedly suppose to be 4g, so I don't think activating line and popping sim card will be available in the future.

11. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Corporate store will do it for you. Works fine. I did it for the 4S.