Cross upgrade on iPad data line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blue2007, Sep 10, 2012.

1. blue2007 macrumors newbie

One of my two lines on the account is a data plan for iPad 3G. The line shows as being eligible for a full upgrade.

If I were to use that line to upgrade to iPhone 5, what are the implications? Can I do a cross-upgrade? Can I still cancel the additional data plan that I have to add when doing the upgrade?

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

If you "upgrade" it to an iPhone then it will have a contracted voice line attached to it. It will no longer be a data only line for iPad.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Similar question and hate to hijack.
    What about instead of an iphone if one wants to get an ipad for upgrade.
    Not sure if that possible either?

4. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

----------

And it will throw you into a family share plan if your not already. I use one from a charge sim I cut down with unlimited in my iPad 3 and go from there. There is nothing they can do.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

not possible, tried it earlier in the year and the rep couldnt get it to go through.

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

AT&T and Verizon no longer subsidize tablets... and the iPad was never offered subsidized anyway. If you want and iPad... just just go buy one. If you have a shared data package, you can add it to your plan for $10 per month.

7. blue2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's interesting that when I go to thru the process, the $25 data plan I had says it's voice. Then I am adding the $20 "new" data plan to it.

So I wonder if that $20 can be canceled afterwards and the 2-year contract still remains on old data plan?

8. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Traditionally, the "voice" part of a cellular plan is what is contracted and the data package, SMS & other add ons are not.

If you "upgrade" that data plan to an iPhone, it will be on a voice plan... and that voice plan would be contracted. If you cancel the voice by converting it back to data only, you would essentially be breaking the contract... and need to return the iPhone (within the 30 days) or pay an ETF (after 30 days).

----------

Basically... what I am saying is... I don't think you can "cross upgrade" a data line and keep it as a data line.

9. M87, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

M87 macrumors 65816

I was told by a Verizon rep whom I find to be be trustworthy that you can indeed use the upgrade eligibility from the iPad line to get an iPhone for another line without changing any aspect of your plan. I've tested my iPad's number on apple.com and it tells me it's eligible, so I don't see any reason to doubt that it will work. When you get the phone just activate it on your iPhone line instead of the iPad one.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey thanks for the info. And letting me know that if I want one I can actually go buy it:D
    lol
    I already have an ipad 3 but a friend was asking me earlier about it. He's up for an upgrade but he's happy with his i4 and would like to get an ipad if somehow they subsidized that instead of a phone device with his upgrade.
    I'll tell him instead he can get an iphone 5, sell it for around $500+ and use the money towards an ipad.

True, makes sense.