Cross Upgrading - What does AT&T ask for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac.fanatic, Oct 29, 2012.

1. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

My iPhone is supposed to deliver today. I used a line under my account (who uses a basic phone) for the upgrade. When the phone comes in, I want to activate the phone directly under my number, and not the number that I used for the upgrade. I know this can be done by calling AT&T customer care. Before I call them, can someone tell me what information they ask for to do the cross activation/cross upgrade?

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

besides the usual SSN, account name and password.

3. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

So they need the SIM card number from the card that is pre-installed into the phone? This is my first iPhone so I don't exactly know how to open the SIM tray.

4. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I will explain how it works... I did it on launch day.

Phone arrives. DON'T TURN ON THE PHONE UNTIL YOU CALL AT&T.
    Call AT&T from another phone (Like a land line). Tell them the situation. You upgraded to an iPhone on line (XXX) XXX-XXXX and you want to activate the phone on another line. It's a cross upgrade.

If they haven't asked yet, they will have you verify the account (Account Holder Name and last four of social). Then they will ask for the iPhone's IMEI # and the ICCID # (SIM Card Number). These should be printed on the iPhone's box. You don't need to eject the SIM.

After they confirm that they did the change, you will need to power on the phone and follow the activation process.

PLEASE NOTE: During the activation process it will say that it is activating on the old number (the line who's upgrade was used) but GO AHEAD and proceed. It will ask for billing zip code and last four of social. When it activates it WILL activate the SIM card for the phone number that AT&T changed it to... NOT the upgrade line.

5. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I activated the phone under my line. However I noticed that when I went the ought the set up process on the phone, it didn't ask me to confirm any zip code or last four digits if social security. Any reason behind this?

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Did you buy it from Apple or AT&T? The way I described was when I got the phone from Apple. Maybe AT&T doesn't lock down the activation process.