Crossgrade Process- Advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MegaBit, Sep 23, 2013.

1. MegaBit macrumors member

I have 3 lines on AT&T and upgraded a simple flip phone I gave to my folks to carry back in June, but the buffoons at the AT&T store applied the upgrade to my line, which was also due for an upgrade but I was waiting for the 5s.

I called them when I realized this 2 weeks ago and all they could tell me was that it would be a "simple" process to call them with the new iPhone and have the upgrade applied to it as opposed to the other line I had to use to get the upgrade price.

So I read there are some issues with this and the fact SIMs come ready to go and maybe the plan features are backwards not to mention the CS rep I'll need to talk with messing something up with my account.

For people that have done this, can you offer any advice and suggestions so I know what to plan for?

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Previously when I've done this, it has been easy to walk into the AT&T store and walk out with everything switched. This past Friday that was not the case.

There were no Grey 64GB 5s phones left. Rep said he could order and it would take 28 days to deliver. When he tried that, order stalled. Rep did everything he could to convince me (unsuccessfully) to go to Next plan (burn in Hell :mad: ) and then when I vehemently declined that option, order process denied ability to cross-upgrade even though that line has been off-contract for a year.

I walked out. Will wait on next year's model when available.

I have been with AT&T wireless since they were BellSouth, then Cingular.

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Apple stores have a new thing called a buddy upgrade for AT&T which makes it easy to switch upgrades.

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

It was a bit of a hassle when I went from 4S to 5. The sim is already installed and pre-programmed. I went to the Apple store out of frustration because the people at Verizon were being extremely rude and insisted it would take 24 hours to re-program the sim and literally said, there's nothing we can do.

The Apple store people however were extremely helpful and got me a new sim and programmed it, I was out in under an hour!

5. MegaBit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try calling AT&T first but if they make it seem like a challenge (by the rep reading their FAQ) then I'll end the call and drive across town to an Apple store.