MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Though Jobs has already declared the CRT dead... the CRT iMac has held in there since the LCD iMac's release.

In March, Apple dropped the CRT iMac from their online stores, but it appears that Apple may have EOL'd (End of Life'd) the product altogether, and will subsequently be disappearing from retail stores as well.

LoopRumors reported in February that the CRT iMac would be discontinued this summer.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
They can EOL it, but they can never take mine away! ;)

The CRT iMac was such a great machine in so many ways.

Comment

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
I think it's about time they did this... the eMac is definitely the modern CRT iMac and slides in at a pretty sweet price point. The eMac should have been called the "G4 iMac" from the beginning in my humble opinion...

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Yeah the eMac is the direct replacement for the CRT iMac, bigger flat screen, G4, everything that a modern CRT iMac would be. I still love my DV it runs like a champ with plenty of memory and 10.2.5, of course I would LOVE to replace the 10GB hard drive with something around a 40GB I find the hard drive space is my biggest limiter now. Does anyone know with labor how much it would cost to upgrade my 10GB HD to a 40GB?

Long live the computer that brought Apple back from the brink of death. Anyone who is loyal to Apple will always have a special place in their hearts for the computer that started a "candy colored" trend in the late 1990's. A computer that was so easy to set up and use. I remember the little fold-out with pictures that came with mine. Plug in the Power Cord, Plug in the Phone jack, Plug in the keyboard and mouse, turn it on and SURF!!! If I am right the "i" stood for Internet.

Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Great machine it was...I still have my Rev. A Bondi Blue iMac running in my roommates room. It's pretty slow under X...a little more RAM might help it. I think I'll probably keep it forever...maybe I'll put 9 back on it.

Comment

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
eMac

I don't care if apple thinks they should be slick with all their white and metal computers. They need to bring back the colors for the eMac. Don't draw attention to it or anything, but bring back at least a couple of colors. Colors are fun.

Comment

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by vniow
That's a real shame, I still think they should have discounted it all to hell, but whatever.https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=252654

For $499 it might have been the best-selling computer all over again! I personally don't think such a bargain for a somewhat outdated machine would have done any serious damage to sales of the newer computers, but then I do peak out from under the Reality Distortion Field every once in a while. :rolleyes:

Still going strong with my iMac DV SE 500... I figure it should last me until a 2nd-generation PPC-970 PowerMac is out and I have a solid paycheck.

Comment
A

AhmedFaisal

They shoul EOL the eMac as well....

Considering the fact that LCDs are getting cheaper and better and the long standing factor that CRTs in general are harmful for your eyes its about time those things stop being sold, especially to schools. With all the e-learning buzz that is going on people should consider what they want kids to sit in front of all day long. Besides that, instead of selling the bulky eMac I'd rather see them just sell the computer part of the eMac as a pizza-box barebone without a screen. I would have much more use for that!
Cheers,

Ahmed

Comment

requies

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2003
Comment

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I managed to pick up a cheap xdemo one for just $500, they are still good for net access and office. I use my G4 for the speed intensive stuff.

Comment

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
Originally posted by vniow
That's a real shame, I still think they should have discounted it all to hell, but whatever.https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=252654

Agreed, and I've been wanting to buy a nice low priced one for my living room for so long. . . I'm sad to see it go.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"That's a real shame, I still think they should have discounted it all to hell, but whatever."

agreed... maybe push it to 800 mhz G3, and sell it for $500. Then there's a mac that's compatible with the low end PCs it terms of price. People gobble these things up. For all of the talk about 970s and 3 ghz P4s on this site, this site isn't representitive of what computer users in general want or need. The imac still does what most people want a computer to do. At $500 I bet they would have flown off the shelves. and don't give me this emac ****... the emac is ugly as sin and can never replace the imac CRT. :cool:

Comment

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
I would LOVE to replace the 10GB hard drive with something around a 40GB I find the hard drive space is my biggest limiter now. Does anyone know with labor how much it would cost to upgrade my 10GB HD to a 40GB?

You could snatch up a LaCie FW external HD for pretty cheap, usually cheaper than an internal one. I got 80 GB for about $200. The Apple Store has pretty darn good prices.

Comment

gregnacu

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Canada
Replacing harddrive in CRT iMac

Does anyone know with labor how much it would cost to upgrade my 10GB HD to a 40GB?

The harddrive is quite easy to replace. Though, it probably voids your warranty if any is still in existence. You flip the machine upside down, remove the VGA out port cover, and remove the 4 main screws. Two were under the VGA port cover, and two are between the flip foot hinge joints.

You can now gently and carefully pull the bottom off the imac. Under this is a shiny metal grill. There are 4 small screws around it's outer lip. Becareful not to drop any of these screws as they will slip into the upper part of the computer case and are hard to retrieve.

Once the grill is off, there are 4 screws holding the harddrive in place. Undo them, unplug the ide ribbon and the power connector, and slide the mechanism out. You can slide a new mechanism in, I replaced my 10 with a 60. And reassemble.

The alternative, before reassembling, and requires an extra IDE cable of your own, is to disconnect the optical drive from the ribbon, and using your own ribbon you can connect your old and new ide drives at the same time. set the new drive's jumpers to slave. Boot up as normal, (as normal as can be with the computer upside down). And start disk utility. You will see the two harddrives. Format the new one, and then when that's done, you can just drag and drop all or files from the old HD to the new HD.

It's pretty simple, and I've done the procedure twice on iMac DV400's without a hitch.

Greg.

Comment

sXe

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
oh, i will miss the iMac. i love my CRT iMac. it's the machine that i use. it does more intense operations than my G4! i love it so much...

Comment

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
So how long till my Blue Dalmation CRT is "vintage"? Or is it already?

If you look on eBay, particularly with the old clamshell iBooks, some colors are more popular then others, and all of them definitely get more $ than they are actually worth, hardwarewise. They have been discontinued for a while though, the iMac form was still around until not to long ago.
max

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Thanks for the advice on the HD replacement. When I bought this computer 3 years ago, I said to myself..."How will I ever use all the space on a 10GB HD"...then came iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto...and "i" am out of room!

Comment

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by maxterpiece
If you look on eBay, particularly with the old clamshell iBooks, some colors are more popular then others, and all of them definitely get more $ than they are actually worth, hardwarewise. They have been discontinued for a while though, the iMac form was still around until not to long ago.
max

so what are we looking at, $800-$900? I still wouldn't give my Blue Dalmation "Joanne" up. She's a keeper.

Comment

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
ya why sell unless you are really hurtin for cash

good tips for replacement of HD, I am just a fearless dismantler and tinkerer, so I forget not everyone is.

OSX might not copy as well many hidden files, etc, you might want to check out CarbonCopy Cloner.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.