Crucial C300 256GB SSD vs OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the_fellowship, Apr 6, 2011.

1. the_fellowship macrumors regular

Hi,

Apologies for yet another SSD thread, but I had a specific question I wanted to get your opinions on please:

I have a 2011 MBP 13" (base model - Core i5) and I wish to upgrade to an SSD (200GB+) and keep the Superdrive i.e. keep a 1 disk solution.

I am based in the UK and the prices for the 2 drives I am considering are:

Crucial C300 256GB - £340 approx
    OCZ Vertex 3 240GB - £440 approx

I wanted to get opinions if the performance difference between the 2 drives on the MBP 2001 13" justifies the £100 price difference?

Thanks in advance

2. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

From what I've have been reading in some of the other threads and looking at the specs on Newegg the read/write times are way better on the Vertex 3 (It's a much faster drive).

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Even though I purchased the C300 for mine, it does seem the C300, especially the 256GB is hit or miss with the 2011 MBP. There's about 17 pages of threads on Crucial's Forum in regards to this. Personally I think it's more of a glitch with Apple's hardware or software than Crucial's.

4. the_fellowship thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses.

I too noticed that thread on the Crucial forums but as you mention it is a bit hit and miss with the latest MBPs. The drive seems to work fine in an external enclosure and on Windows machines, so that 'may' suggest an issue with Apple's s/w or h/w...who knows???

The benchmarks for the Vertex 3 look very impressive and it appears to be one of the fastest SSDs available (outside enterprise markets). There is an obvious price hike for the newer and faster technology. Would like to see more reviews and ppl's experience of using this SSD in the 2011 MBPs.

I am leaning towards the Vertex 3, but that's not taking anything away from the C300 which is a great SSD too. I'm hoping there won't be as many issues using the Vertex 3 on the 2011 MBP (13" in particular) compared to the C300.

Cheers