Crucial CT256M225 256 GB SSD - Can we trim with macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ttran88, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ttran88 macrumors regular

Hello all,

I'm new to SSDs and I've been reading around and I've heard things about weekly trimming/updating firmware in order to maintain performance. I went to the crucial website and it said I can only update the firmware with windows. Is this true? and is it also true about trimming and that the software will only work with windows? So if it is true, theres no point in getting a SSD with trim capabilities if I have a mac correct? I currently have a 256 without trim capabilities and the company (g.skill) is not having any firmware updates for this version (g.skill titan 256 gb ssd). So theres no point in upgrading to this crucial SSD...?

Thanks!

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

3. snouter macrumors 6502a

I have the 128GB version of the same drive.

I have not gotten definitive word on controlling degradation over time.

Some people say not to worry about, so, why are there apps for TRIM and garbage control running around town?

I know you don't really need to defrag Macs, and when you install an SSD on Windows 7 it automatically turns defrag off. But I don't think the degradation over time issue is all about fragmentation.

4. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks bud. So i should just keep this g.skill titan then. Will it degrade and possibly fail the hard drive since I'm not trimming it?

5. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

How long have you had this drive? How do you like it? Do you feel a difference? I went on the actual g.skill site and people are complaining about performance and the g.skill said they arent supporting firmware updates for the titan model. only for the falcon model. There are so many mixed opinions I don't even know if I want to use it or resale it, since it was pretty pricey.

6. snouter macrumors 6502a

I've only had it in my 17" MBP since last night, since that's when I got the computer.

I had it in a Sony Vaio F i7 quad core, and it was amazing. Windows 7 supports TRIM though I never really used the drive enough to get to the point where it probably mattered.

I did the Firmware update and really have nothing bad to say about the drive. It's hard to go back to platter drives after getting your first SSD.

7. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

You have the titan version right? I thought there was no firmware updates for the TITAN model... am I wrong? Thats what g.skill told me...

8. snouter macrumors 6502a

My bad, I thought we were talking about the Crucial.

I have the 128GB Crucial drive. I did update the firmware with a PC. If you don't have a PC it should not be too hard to get to one to upgrade the firmware.

In your situation there is no need to swap SSDs. TRIM in not supported in OS X.