Crucial is out of ram. what other brand do you recommend?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xjames, Feb 26, 2008.

1. xjames macrumors member

I just got the new mbp, and when I tried to get a 4GB Crucial Ram kit, it was out of stock. They couldn't say when it would be available.

Would you recommend any other brand? Any other stores to get those brands?

thanks!

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. MM07 macrumors 6502a

OWC is great...go for it. They have great prices and fast shipping as well.

4. gelatin macrumors 6502

how about one that isnt OWC? the last time i ordered from them stupid customs over here hit me with a £30 charge :(

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

OWC is good, if not i'd say go to data memory systems, i buy all my ram from them and they're great

6. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You should have specified that first.

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I know some people are wary of cheaper ram, with good reason, but I have to say, I picked up a 4gb 2x2 kit for my macbook and a macmini a bit ago of A-Data brand and it's worked swimmingly so far. I got it from newegg ... not sure about international stuff though. But here it was only 77 dollars with free shipping! Can't be that price AND it has a lifetime warranty, so there really isn't anyway to go wrong.

It has been working happily in the mini too (although the mini doesn't recognize it all... just over 3 but that's the mini's processor not the ram) It got good reviews in few of the places I read too.

I recommend it if you are looking for a good price. But OWC is good of course too

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yeah I don't get it, most all RAM has a lifetime warranty. OWC is way overpriced for RAM. Why spend $159 for 4GB when you can get the same for about 1/2 that at newegg? Boggles the mind.

10. MM07 macrumors 6502a

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Because OWC has a huge selection of Mac memory and other things and is totally 100% Mac centric. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes they're about average. They're never what I would call "expensive" and they always guarantee the memory you order works in the model of Mac listed.

They're also super friendly to deal with, phone support is based in northern Illinois with people that speak english and are very friendly. And for people who live in Chicago, or most of Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Iowa, even the cheapest ground shipping gets you next day service.

That's why I always go OWC.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

didn't know that they were based there, will definitely consider them next time i'm ordering stuff since they are close.

13. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

14. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Corsair are good. I think OCZ make memory for Macs too.

15. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

There is no 'Mac' Memory when it comes to Intel macs. Guess few will ever understand that. It is simply 200 pin DDR2 PC 5300 (667). ANY BRAND with that spec will work (save for stupidly big heatspreaders on the modules). I mean, $80 delivered for 4GB? No reason to spend more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208323

16. xjames thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies.

Just ordered from OWC :)

17. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Yes and no. 'Mac memory' simply means that it's been tested on Macs and that the SPD works.

You should note that Macrumors has an article on this which is quite specific around why using Newegg, etc may not be a good idea.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

But I guess few will ever understand that, eh?