Jeff5886

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Both would work but the one for $199 is what I have, the other is 7mm thick, that would work too, but the drives in the Mac are 9mm thick.

Comment

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Wonder why it's taking the Samsung 830 so long to drop to these levels? When they do that will be my next purchase.

Comment

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So if you go to tigerdirect.com and sign up for the email list you get a coupon for 10.00 off your order and they have the Crucial M4 256g SSD for 199.99 for a total of 189.99. My question though is there are two models listed and I dont know what one to buy or what the difference is:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2336435&CatId=4217

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=365476&CatId=5300

What one do I buy?

I love you. I'll be buying the 9mm one. Thanks for the post. :)

Comment

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Wonder why it's taking the Samsung 830 so long to drop to these levels? When they do that will be my next purchase.
Because it's a premium drive and its main competitor is Intel, but Crucial has been kicking their butt as far as sales go.

Comment

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Because it's a premium drive and its main competitor is Intel, but Crucial has been kicking their butt as far as sales go.

Perhaps you're right. Guess I just need to be patient and content with my Samsung 470 for a while longer. These deals are getting really hard to resist though. Thanks for the info.

Comment

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Perhaps you're right. Guess I just need to be patient and content with my Samsung 470 for a while longer. These deals are getting really hard to resist though. Thanks for the info.
You have the 470? Just keep it, it's a nice drive.

If I were you, I would wait a year to see where this SSD business is going. What's great is these SSD manufacturers are competing with Hard Drives...and almost all of them don't make HDs so it's a new market for them.

I have a reason to believe that this is why Samsung sold it's HD business to Seagate...same with Toshiba.

SSD is obviously the future.

Comment

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
You have the 470? Just keep it, it's a nice drive.

If I were you, I would wait a year to see where this SSD business is going. What's great is these SSD manufacturers are competing with Hard Drives...and almost all of them don't make HDs so it's a new market for them.

I have a reason to believe that this is why Samsung sold it's HD business to Seagate...same with Toshiba.

SSD is obviously the future.

Wanted to put the 470 in my iMac which is still running the stock 1TB 7200 rpm drive and the 830 in my MBP. To be honest, the iMac runs pretty fast and smooth and I'm not having and issues with it. Guess I just got a case of SSD fever since upgrading the MBP months ago. I'll probably wait it out a while since the Samsung model is my personal preference.

Interesting tidbit, didn't know both those companies had sold off their HDD divisions.

Comment

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Wanted to put the 470 in my iMac which is still running the stock 1TB 7200 rpm drive and the 830 in my MBP. To be honest, the iMac runs pretty fast and smooth and I'm not having and issues with it. Guess I just got a case of SSD fever since upgrading the MBP months ago. I'll probably wait it out a while since the Samsung model is my personal preference.

Interesting tidbit, didn't know both those companies had sold off their HDD divisions.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the SSD addiction.

It's crazy but I keep checking for prices all the time, but I already have an SSD in my MBP :D

Must be the curious nerd deep down inside. I would like to update my Mac Pro's boot drive to an SSD soon, but I don't see a need for it.

The samsung 830 is a beauty, for sure.

Comment

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
it just came up when i went to tigerdirect.com
Hmm, that's odd. I don't see it now, I'll have to give them a call.

At the very bottom right corner there is an e-mail signup but it doesn't mention anything about $10. I'll sign up anyway and see what happens.

Thanks!

Comment