Crucial mx100 512gb or Samsung 840 evo 512gb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PinkWaters, Oct 26, 2014.

1. PinkWaters, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

PinkWaters macrumors member

PinkWaters

Hello all, I am in a bit of a dilemma, I want to upgrade my cMBP HDD to a SSD, but I cannot decide which one to get of those two.

1- To get the curcial mx100 which is slower than the evo
    2- To get the evo, knowing that it had old files performance degradation bug, which has been fixed apparently with a firmware update, but I don't know if the fix restores the performance of old files to the default advertised speed, or if the fix is guaranteed to keep the speed of the old files constant in the long run.

If anybody has an insight or help me decide, I would be very thankful.

edit: I have sata 3, mid-2012 cMBP

2. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

What year is the MBP? If it's older with SATA 2 just get what is cheapest.

3. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

4. Gav Mack, Oct 26, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

The Evo - mx100 is really for sata 2 upgrades. SATA3 the 840 streaks way ahead. The degradation bug only affects systems that have been in place over a period of time and you're just installing yours.

5. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

yeah, and I will apply the fix as soon as I get the drive, but after a period of time, my files would be considered "old" and I don't know at what speed they will be read and if in the long run the read speed will be constant.. the fix has been out for a week or so, so nobody knows I guess.

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

No fix for OS X partitions yet, a multi boot ISO is due in a few weeks this fix is windows only so far. It runs a utility that rewrites all your affected data back to the SSD. I have got loads of those drives out there including 5 in my systems. The degradation is minor and I have had far worse bugs, particularly with sandforce controllers and Macs

7. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Mx100. If u look at reviews, the 512GB actually performs really well. The 840's fix is garbage. Rewriting data? Wouldn't that take time and at the same time introduce more wear to the chips?

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

What? :confused:

OP, you can't go wrong with either, get whichever is cheapest. Any performance difference between the two would unnoticeable and irrelevant.

9. PinkWaters, Oct 26, 2014

PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

Well, the fix does 2 things from what I understand,
    1- update the firmware
    2- rewrite the data

And by the way, nobody needs to wait for the mac os x version of the fix to actually update the firmware of a new drive..
    All you have to do is format it with 1 NTFS partition, and run the tool so it upgrades the firmware, and it won't take time to rewrite data as the partition would be empty, and thats it. (if you have a PC laying around)

Also the fix is not actually about rewriting data, the fix is the new firmware that gets updated so the bug doesn't happen again.

10. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

I went and read up what the fix does. So yes, you r right. For new users, flashing it beforehand will be great. For the rest, it's going to take some time to rewrite the data (someone reported the whole process took him 1hr).

However, for Mac and Limix users, I'd suggest not to update the firmware first. It looks like the firmware does not know how to behave when used in such file systems.

Source:
    http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/222156-samsungs-840-evo-repair-tool-available-to-download-but-be-careful-of-the-caveats-when-you-update?origref=https:%2F%2Fwww.google.com.sg%2F

I've got a feeling your mind is already set on the evo. Why not just go ahead? :)

11. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

The file system seems to only matter for the data rewriting, I have not read anywhere that the firmware is only for windows so far.. I mean they won't release another firmware dedicated for mac or linux.

My mind is set on the evo but I am just afraid how will all this work out in the long run.

12. Gav Mack, Oct 26, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Crucial mx100 512gb or Samsung 840 evo 512gb?

I've got loads of both types out in the field in windows and Macs. The mx100 is a superb budget drive but 512gb and above the 840 evo is worth the extra price premium for speed in s sata 3 system. Reads are faster and writes much more. Having them in identical systems side by side convinced me and not just what anand says...

There is the firmware upgrade to the drive and the rewrite utility, the second part is the rewrite utility windows only right now. Delay for other platforms is due to the time it takes to make a multi boot Linux type ISO which will support Linux, hfs+ and probably ntfs also too..

13. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

I bought my MX100 512G last week (see signature for laptop model), replaced my stock Toshiba HDD, so far so good. Blackmagic Disk Test reports 500MB/s R/W while XBench reports around 400MB/s.

I've installed Yosemite and Windows 8.1, other than the Core Storage bug mentioned in this thread, everything was perfect. Blizzard games went from ~20fps at 720p mid settings to ~30fps at 1200p, if I had knew hard drive was the bottle neck I would have upgraded years ago, shame on me for not doing enough research. :(

Boot time is ~16s for both Yosemite and Windows.

14. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

I eventually bought the EVO, but I am facing an issue that I don't understand.
    I Partitioned the SSD with disk utility with 1 partition and the weird thing is that the partition shows that it has 499gb capacity!
    shouldn't the 500gb evo shows capacity around 460gb?
    what can be wrong here ?

15. saudor macrumors 6502

Only under Windows Macs use a different system to avoid confusion I reckon