Crucial Refurbished 2.5" Serial ATA SSD Sale: 64GB $64, 128GB $128, 256GB $256

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluesteel, Sep 22, 2010.

1. bluesteel macrumors 6502

Crucial Refurbished 2.5" Serial ATA SSD Sale: 64GB $64, 128GB $128, 256GB $256

i see so much talk about SSDs, and i just ran into this, so i thought i would post it. not sure if these are the best SSDs, but they are something and half the price of a new one:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/39449/crucial-refurbished-2.5-serial-ata-ssd-sale-64gb-$64,-128gb-$128,-256gb-$256

2. granny shifter macrumors member

Thanks. I jumped in and purchased a 128GB. My question is how much of a performance boost would this provide my 2009 13-inch Macbook Pro?

3. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

you know, i don't own one myself just yet, but i have read and seen in benchmarks a tremendous improvement over standard hard drives. i also know that not all SSDs have the same performance. some are a lot faster than others, but cost more. for example, i hear that OWC SSDs, and certain Intel and Crucial SSDs are super fast, and probably the top SSDs on the market. but again, in general, SSDs are lot faster than standard HDDs. your definitely going to see a dramatic improvement in most areas.

for me the problem is space. i need to have at least a 500GB hard drive in my macbook pro, and a 500GB SSD is over $1000. i won't spend that much on a hard drive that i don't HAVE to have, unless i get rich..lol. i'm actually going to buy the new Seagate 750GB 7200RPM 2.5" hard drive when it comes out next month. unfortunately i need to keep a lot of data directly on my macbook pro, otherwise i would have bought one of these smaller refurb SSDs.

Good luck!

4. granny shifter macrumors member

Thanks for the info! That was a very informational post. I had been searching for an SSD, but could never justify the cost until I saw the $1/GB price point. I understand that Intel will be releasing a new line of SSDs that will significantly lower the prices and introduce larger capacities. Have you ever considered an Optibay setup along with an SSD? I'm not to sure how important the Superdrive is to you, but it does present another option in which you can really see your i7 fly ;)

5. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

no problem :) when i saw those prices, i couldn't believe they were not already posted in this forum.

you know, i've been sort of agonizing over this. i saw the hardware at OWC that allows me to mount another hard drive in the optical bay, but i often repair permissions and at least two times in the past three months i've had to repair my hard disk, and i use the OS X install disc that came with my macbook pro to do this. that's really the only reason that i'm not willing to lose the optical drive.

is there a way to turn that OS X install disc into a "disc image" that i can store on a hard drive or flash drive that will work perfectly, no issues, guaranteed? i'm not sure how this could be done so that i could boot my computer off the disc image, if i could make a disc image of it, that is. at this $1/GB price, i'm so tempted to get one of the 256GB SSDs and mount it in the optical bay for system/apps.

6. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Just rip the Mac OS X install DVD onto a 8GB jump drive

7. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm willing to try that....but is that something that you have done yourself as well?

8. granny shifter macrumors member

I am interested to know as well. It seems as though reinstalling OS X is the only reason why I still need a Superdrive. I will definitely get back to you guys once I have read some more information regarding this. I have created a bootable flash drive for Windows 7, but I understand that you cannot install Windows 7 like this using the Boot Camp utility.

9. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

i just found an alternative and i think it solves my problem as long as i can boot the Mac OS X install disc from an external USB optical drive. its an optical bay kit for the Macbook Pro so one can mount a hard drive in the optical bay. Its sold by MaxUpgrades and includes an external USB optical bay enclosure as well so that you can throw your superdrive in there. the prices looks good too. here is a link: http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=186

10. granny shifter macrumors member

11. granny shifter macrumors member

I believe it might be possible to make a bootable flashdrive and use it with REfit as well.