Crucial running a 1 day sale on refurb SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdoug, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Pretty good deal!!! not sure about crucial's refurb policy though...

2. preppy macrumors member

preppy

30 day rather than 3 year warranty....

...makes me a little nervous...

And my main question is: How do you refurbish an SSD? (pardon my ignorance)

3. jlw2387 macrumors member

$250 has been my buy point for a 256GB SSD, so I'm in.

4. miata, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

miata macrumors 6502

Yes. A little scary.

You can get a new OCZ SSD 120 GB for $200 after rebate on Amazon.

5. aeboi, Nov 24, 2010

aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Their new products have a 3-year warranty but their refurbished SSD drives have 30 days or less. You have to contact them within 30 days of purchase and if not they take no responsibility.

Many companies support their refurbs well but not crucial, apparently.

If the drive fails within the 3 day period, you will not get your money back, only store credit.

These also have high failure rates from the last deal but YMMV. Those were the M225s and I'm not sure about the this deal but it might be a different story with C300 drives...

But you can buy a squaretrade warranty I believe, it's like $40 for 2 years or something...

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

hell yeah. i'm going to buy a 256 as a backup - for next years MBP :D

7. gman34 macrumors member

I might buy one and once i get it i will call the company and tell them it doesn't work, just so i can get a new one. Then it might be a new one and not a refurb.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Refurbished Ram? ... sounds as practical as a refurbished mattress. :cool:

9. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

doesn't work that way:cool:

10. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

This just doesn't sound like a good idea unless you plan to put it in an optibay as a 2nd drive and even then its still not a good idea. Likes like buying a car that has a salvage title. You may get luck and buy one that isn't a complete POS but the rest of the time its just a waste of money.

11. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

189$ on the egg.

12. jlw2387 macrumors member

I don't think you guys fully understand what refurbished means. The SSD failed for some reason, and the faulty component is replaced and the unit gets re-certified. By all means it is probably expected to meet all the requirements of a new unit. It is nowhere near like buying a car with a salvage title, its not like the drive was slammed into a light pole at 70mph.

Anyway, I checked out Squaretrade, and using coupon code FBPREVIEW, you can get a 1 year warranty for $23 and 2 years for $35. And that is for a refurb drive valued at $250.

13. spmiz12 macrumors regular

I dont know gang, refurb'ed SSD...... And to top that, only a 30 day warranty....... I don't care how much the price per GB is; I will hold out, trust me, the prices are headed down........

14. spmiz12 macrumors regular

I understand your point, but who wants to deal with SquareTrade for one item, Apple for the laptop and so on , and so....... It may sound good, but honestly if you look at other reviews and reports then you see they have some real extensive problems with SSD drives; ecspecially in laptops.....

Just my two cents....... But I think with time the price will come down, and the reliability will go way up....It is the future, but there are speed bumps right now....

15. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the dealbreaker here is; do they have sandforce controlers?

16. dj2mc, Nov 24, 2010

dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

This decision is like buying a rebuilt alternator for a car. If you want cheap, GO FOR IT! Got nothing to lose. But if you're skeptical yourself and don't believe it's for you, don't. A lot of times there are no problems, but a lot of times there are. It's a 50/50.
    But TBH like all things refurb/open box is always not a bad thing. In fact, my HDTV and av receiver I have are Best Buy open-box deals, and they are flawless!! Saved myself total $650.

17. uMBPi728 macrumors member

Caveat Emptor

I'd too be really cautious about those refurbs. It seems like it's a big headache just waiting to happen. Anyhow, can't wait to hear the stories from folks who bought them, good or bad. I hope those SDDs are what people expect them to be, ie, functional and to your satisfaction. Peace all!

BTW...the car alternator analogy was pretty good.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How do you refurbish one? Well, just put the internals in a new casing... unsoldering and re-soldering all those chips would cost more than just re-casing the dam thing.

Thats why they sell refurb SSDs cheaply, they are already used and worn down on the cell level.

30 days? I wouldn't touch such SSDs with a 10ft pole under such low warranty.

19. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

I agree to your post as well. +1

20. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

I would assume they'd re-flash the chips. Since your more common of problems arouse from defragmenting the SSD. But, good question regarding of how to refurbish one.

21. jav6454, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I am not talking about the performance drop. I am talking about the life left in the drive from the previous drive usage.

SSDs have limited write cycles. Re-flashing it doesn't return it to the original state of cycles (zero); it just gives you performance back.

Thats why you get the drives cheaply, they have used up cycles and hence have lower life expectancy. How much less? That will vary a whole lot.

22. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

^ Thanks for the clear info jay.
    Much more sense now. +1

23. uMBPi728 macrumors member

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Crucial, Corsair, Intel, wherever, and listen to the engineers talk about how bad the service life is on SSDs. I mean, how really bad it can get. (Just an exaggeration, k folks.) Bet there's some really bright Google engineer out there who can possibly fix the bad stuff. (Not an exaggeration, they think they're the *****.)

24. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

SSD's have a great life expectancy. I've had my 2.5" OCZ Vertex 2 in my MBP since it was first released and every month or so I see the performance gains getting better and better.
    And as far as life wise, they have an expectancy of 2 million hours :cool: