Crutchfield "Outfit your car" and SonicWall SSL Login Don't Work

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PinkyMacGodess, Apr 6, 2010.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Went to crutch field.com and the 'outfit your car' selections don't work. Also have clients with SonicWall SSL remote access devices and the login doesn't work.

Is this a Java issue or something else. Neither site works as designed. I see this as a major flaw and unless it can be fixed, assuming it happens with other sites, this limits the much tauted browser functionality, making it a 'feature' rather than an actual strength of the device.

Yes, the iPad isn't a 'notebook' but that functionality is a very basic part of way too many sites to have it not function. Unless this is a setup screwup on my part, this issue is tragic on an otherwise impressive device...

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The iPad's browser is limited. If a site contains special functions that use Flash or other plugins it will not work on the iPad's browser.

3. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I found a site that claims to use Java but it's actually animated gifs. Go figure...

4. Dorv macrumors regular

It amazes me everyday that people didn't know what they were getting when they purchased the device. It is not like Mobile Safari's capabilities haven't been known for the past three years.

5. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Well, surfing the Internet on the iPhone is like sex with three condoms on the end of a three foot pole. Surfing the Internet on the iPad is a lot more 'intimate' let's say... The lack of java support is proving to be an issue. I'd go as far to say that java support should be seen as being a basic function of a 'modern' web browser, no matter what Steve Jobs says... People are going to bitch about it because it's not time for java to die. Perhaps iPad 1.0 could have supported it and in iPad 2.0 that support could have been removed after java had been given time to wither a litle more. You know, like floppy drives in peecee desktops and serial ports in pecee notebooks...

Plus by allowing Steve Jobs to declare java dead, aren't we giving him the power Microsoft usually takes for themselves? Who is he to decide? He just apparently doesn't want to pay any license fees to anyone else... Cheap bastard...

6. Dorv macrumors regular

I guess I just have never noticed not having it on my iPhone. I also (preordered my 3G) purchased my iPad knowing that it was a mobile browser, and not a full browser.

7. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

One of the big problems though for non-techie users are hearing commercials from Apple claiming stuff like a true internet experience on a mobile device, or that it's the internet just like you would expect it. While the flash and java issues may be widely know among people on boards like these, the average consumer will think that by getting an iphone or ipad, the internet will work just like it does on their pc.