Cruz willing to plead guilty to LWOP.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

The suspect in a Florida school shooting may plead guilty in an effort to avoid the death penalty.

Should Broward County accept it?

2. jerwin macrumors 68020

quite the elision.

One pleads guilty (or not guilty) to charges, not to a sentence.

3. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

People agree to plead for sentence assurances. Judges are part of the agreement.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

A bit torn. Not sure tax payers will be happy paying for him to live. On the flip side, for them, they might consider death too good/easy and would prefer he rots in prison without any chance or parole.

5. 0007776 Suspended

Taking the plea deal will be significantly cheaper than any process that leads to the death penalty and does not fall under the constitution’s prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have never liked the Death Penalty as a matter of principle - but it is also more expensive to taxpayers and a disturbing amount of States use questionable methods to carry out the sentence. I do believe in the chance of redemption. Jon Romano, convicted of attempting a school shooting in NY in 2004, is now supportive of the Parkland survivors...so perhaps Cruz can rediscover his humanity in Jail...

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Release him into the public with a GPS tracker and public map.

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

One of the few times I agree with your colorful posts.

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I don't have any sympathy for mass murderers, but I don't support the death penalty either. LWOP is fitting.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Prosecutors go to defendants with plea agreements in exchange for certain things to be taken off the table (death) all the time. Usually this is done with full knowledge that the presiding judge will sign off on it.

11. jerwin macrumors 68020

The deal, as described in the New York Times, is the following:

In the event that the prosecution accepts the deal, I don't imagine that the judge is empowered to pull an Aqiulina and impose a greater sentence.

12. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

To hell with that. Strap him down and put the needle in.

13. 0007776 Suspended

If revenge is what we are going for we should have a game show where a group of randomly chosen people have to complete for the honor of cutting out his heart on live TV. It would be no more barbaric than other ways of state sanctioned murder that we carry out and would be a good way of showing the world where I society is at.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Well, not to minimize or defend the atrocity he commited, but he is clearly a sick kid with a troubled upbringing. He’s 19 years old. I think LWOP is fair.

15. IWantItThatWay Suspended

I became pro-death penalty when I realized how many murderers want to avoid it.

There are three things guaranteed in life:

1. Taxes
    2. Death
    3. A murderer wanting to avoid the death penalty

With life in prison, he will get free cable TV, internet, conjugal visits/marriage, fan letters, family visitations, phone calls, gourmet food, etc. etc.

In about 2 years he'll become institutionalized and it'll be like an extended vacation for him.

People who sold marijuana got LWOP. A dude who murdered 17 kids shouldn't get the same sentence as that.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    Keeping a piece of crap that murdered 17 kids alive is barbaric.

16. 0007776 Suspended

Agreed, the people who sell pot shouldn’t get that long of a sentence unless there was something else going on with it.

17. IWantItThatWay Suspended

But facts are facts, and a mass shooter shouldn't get the same sentence as a drug dealer.

IMO Cruz should get 15 years of hard labor, and then executed. We have to make it clear that mass shootings are not OK. If he gets life in prison he gets away with it like the Batman shooter did.

18. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

How much deference should be given to the victims’ family?

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Zero

20. IWantItThatWay Suspended

They should have a say.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    How much deference should the shooter be given?

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's why we have a thing called prosecutorial discretion and entrust them to decide how much if any to give the defendant. I'm sure the shooter would prefer to enter a mental institution and treatment vs. LWOP or the death penalty. He's getting 1 of the 2 most extreme sentences.

22. IWantItThatWay Suspended

99.6% murderers prefer life in prison over the death penalty.

There's a reason they always fight the death penalty. Ted Bundy collapsed when faced with the chair; John Wayne Gacy went from cocky to outright scared; William Bonin wrote entire essays on why the death penalty was bad; Jodi Arias cried to avoid it; James Holmes and Nikolas Cruz fought (is going to fight) it with everything they can; the Green River Killer admitted everything to avoid it; etc. etc.

This is why the death penalty is the only just punishment for murder. Life in prison is an extended vacation.

Why should the family of the victims be given zero but the shooter should get any? The victims didn't ask for this.

23. 0007776 Suspended

Nothing is stopping you from defecting to North Korea, that kind of punishment is right up their ally.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Prison is a vacation? My lord I'm not sure where to start. lol

25. IWantItThatWay Suspended

I was going to add (someone is going to mention "Iran or North Korea").

North Korea executes and tortures political opponents. Of course you would compare a mass murderer to political opponents - they're all the same to you right?

This is like me saying since you're agains the death penalty, you want us to have crime rate like Mexico. It's just unfair.

We have to start standing up to these criminals. They're killing us and liberal policies are letting them. To be honest I am tired of people telling me we have to accept and be nice to bad people.