Crying in misery and jumping for joy: bought a MBP on e*bay [HAPPY ENDING: PICS]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Jul 10, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Haven't received it yet, but omg. IMPULSE BUY if I ever have had one. Someone out there tell me this is a good deal please!

If not...sigh. I guess you got to lose some to win some. I was just so tired of losing auctions all the time.

And 2.16ghz will be by far the fastest machine I have ever owned...for a everyday tasking/word processing nerd. And apple care to March 2009. I guess I can work the computer to death and if some problem pops up maybe I can swindle a replacement ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280245072093

Time to go sell all my earthly possessions!

2. acslayter macrumors newbie

Bud, that is one heck of a buy! Wow 1200 dollars for a very decent macbook in good condition (or so he says) Wow. Good job! I would have taken that!

Only thing im wondering is how good the battery is. Also, march 2009 is kind of stingy but whatever.

All in all ... 4/5 stars!

3. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

You did good. Paid right around fair market value :)

4. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Aw thank goodness guys. I am perfectly fine with fair market value!

This is it. I have been dreaming of owning a macbook pro for so long now. I hope it pans out!

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Old Chinese proverb: Buy expensive, cry once.

Good job (as long as it's in good condition).

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

To the OP:
    Sound like you have a fantastic deal there.
    From what I know, the 2.16 is a good system, and should be a lovely entry into the Mac platform. Lets hope you receive everything in tact and as described.

Please keep us in the loop of your experiences.

Enjoy!! :)

8. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

I will most definitely.

I am prepared for the worst. Paid with cc just in case I need to do chargebacks of any kind.

9. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I've got the exact same model. Amazing machine. Enjoy.

10. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

Good call on the CC chargebacks! Paypal is absolute crap when it comes to trying to get your money back

11. tswiers macrumors newbie

tswiers

actually...

I had a really good experience with buying something through paypal.... thank GOD I did. It was a bogus web site and I got all my money back, even though it took a while.

12. fk51785 macrumors regular

did you use live.com 25% cashback ?
    i bought macbook pro (current model) for under 1500 after cashback.

13. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Noope? I am not sure what that is. I did read something briefly about it, but was so antsy to get the computer (mostly due to the software included) that it didn't really cross my mind.

14. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

amazing deal man! hope it's really in good conidition
    hope you enjoy your new machine
    i can't wait to get mine

15. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

I have no idea. Are there differences in reliability or quality from different systems? i.e. between the 2.16 or the 2.33 or the 2.4? I mean besides speed of course.

16. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Great deal!

How good is the graphics card in this thing? Because it actually looks like something I might want to buy, seeing as the MBP's I really want are out of my price range.

17. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Please explain, details are kind of off.

What is the requirement to use it? What determines the percentage you get back?

Thanks

18. muldul macrumors 6502

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... Don't quote me here but I believe there are two versions of the 2.16.

The original launched in early 2006 (CoreDuo) had a with memory limited to a maximum of 2Gb (physical limitation), some users experience a buzzing sound from the processor - Airport card included but no "802.11n" support.

The late 2006 model featured a Core2Duo (this time, Apple solved the buzzing), they could address 3Gb of RAM maximum. Even if the user installed 4GB, the system could only see and use 3Gb - It's a physical limitation with the older chipset, therefore no-matter what the user did, it's practically impossible to go beyond! - Airport Extreme included, though users had to pay for "802.11n" upgrade.

In terms of appearence and build, both are identical, it seems the only difference here is the memory limits and performace. Both are have the popular ATI Mobility Radeon X1600.

In 2007, Apple introduced a the Santa Rosa platform, 2.2/2.4 Gb. They featured LED backlight, backlight keyboard, Airport Extreme 802.11n as standard and supported 4GB of RAM (though, the chipset can address upto 8Gb, Apple doesn't support it). Those machines have the nVida 8600M GT chips with 128/256Mb (currenty MBP still use this platform)

Can someone correct my errors, if any?

20. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Wow thank you so much for that post. So informative, and I would have to have done a lot more research to find out the same thing!

Update: I am pretty happy with this seller's communication. I emailed him about 3 times, and he has replied to those 3 emails addressing my concerns. Also, he just emailed me the UPS tracking number, as well as shipping notice from UPS. The battery is said to last 3 hours on wireless, 4 without. Not too shabby to me!

21. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

So now I am into looking at accessories for my new MBP. :D

Do you guys have case recommendations or skin recommendations?

I am thinking about getting an invisible skin to protect the outer from scratches as this is going to be a purely desktop computer. What do you guys think?

22. vultureboy70 macrumors member

Congrats! I think you've scored a good deal. I have a soft case from Brenthaven bought from Apple.com for my black MacBook. Sorry no recommendations on the clear plastic cases. I'd recommend getting a keyboard skin. I have the Keyskin from Gadgetwrap, but there's also iSkin. Same idea, different company. Beware these keyboard skins can leave harmless imprints on the screen, but are wiped off easily. My keyboard skin has saved me a couple times already. Other than that, I'd recommend maxing out the RAM and harddrive, if you need the speed and space. Other World Computing and Newegg are good places that I've ordered upgrade parts from.
    Good luck and have fun with your newish machine!

23. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Awesome!

I've got that same one at work for tech support! Great machine, we beat the heck out of it and it's still running great! Treat it nice and that should last you for quite some time!

24. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

GREAT!

You think so? I hope it will! I am going to get me apple care (I think I can get an edu discount for that) a bit later. But I will really treat it nicely but work it hard at the same time to make sure everything is gravy. I am still researching to see if there are any definite problems I should look out for when testing the computer. If you guys have any advice, let me know! (like screen yellowing, humming, things like that?)

Thanks for the case suggestions vultureboy. I am set on getting a best skin ever or something like that to protect the case from scratches (I am very anal about that). That leaves a larger case to transport the thing across the country where I go to school. I will look into the brenthavens! I have 3gb of ram in my ultraportable (thinkpad x61s) so I think I just might move the 2gb stick over to the MBP. I don't really do heavy duty computing on the go so I think that would be a good move.

I don't want to do anything to risk the warranty so the hdd will stay as it is. No biggee though..500gb external and 120gb portable external drives should hold me over!

25. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Guess what just arrived today!!

Man...sometimes things that are too good to be true...can be true!!!

It came today!! MAN AND THIS THING IS MINT. I can't find a scratch anywhere, no sign of use whatsoever. Everything that the seller said to a T. Came in the original box with all original accessories. He packed this thing full of software, adobe, office, iwork, everything I need, even stuff I don't know about yet. I need to find some stress testing software, or testing software so I can see if there are any initial problems...any advice?

First, here is the link to the original auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280245072093

PICS...sorry 56K!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]