CSCOPE in Texas Schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I happened to stumble on the right wing website "The Daily Caller" this morning, while reading some news. The big story is something called CSCOPE, which has supplied some materials for Texas schools, according to the website. According to the website -- I haven't been out looking for CSCOPE materials -- CSCOPE is teaching Texas schoolchildren that, for example, Islam is an awesome religion but Christianity is a "cult".

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/21/ten-shocking-things-a-huge-texas-curriculum-conglomerate-has-foisted-on-public-school-students/

Now, 99 times out of 100, these right-wing sites are taking something completely out of context. For example, at the college level, religious studies classes do teach, or at least used to teach, that all religions are "cults". Back in the day, one sometimes read items that used the word "cult" in glowingly positive terms. But, in recent years "cult" has taken on a more restricted and purely negative meaning. Either way, it would be a misleading misuse of language to describe Christianity and a cult and Islam as not a cult. But, they claim to be giving some direct quotes from the CSCOPE teaching materials that sound remarkably clumsy. Any teachers out there familiar with CSCOPE teaching materials?

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

This is why god is wonderful..

Na na my god is better than your god.. *out come the guns*

I'm much to sophisticated for your god, this god is better *tenure*

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As I haven't seen anything anywhere else on this and you linked to an opinion piece, I'm going to call this the next right wing outrage. Let's see if anyone else picks this up.

4. iMikeT macrumors 68020

5. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Like things out of California are the model of sanity?

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Here we go.... :rolleyes:

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Actually I would expect the exact opposite out of Texas; Calling Islam the cult.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And this is why the right can fan the flames - ignorance.

http://www.cscope.us/curriculum.html

Educate yourself.

Glenn Beck got upset because one of the lessons suggested that from the perspecive of the British at the time, the Boston Tea Party was an act of terrorism. The lesson (as implied by Beck) did not claim that it was an act of terrorism. The lesson encouraged students to take a diffferent perspective in evaluating a specific event. And that type of mature, critical analysis is an anathema to those who want to dictate their view of the world to the exclusion of all other views.

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Don't argue with a fool. He'll bring you down to his level and defeat you with experience.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, the daily caller was founded by Mr. Carlson.

"I swear, as god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"