CSU bans concealed carry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

This is not the newest news but is still a big topic down here

CSU had been one of the few campuses allowing concealed carry. I fully support this for a multitude of reasons

Here is the article describing it
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123858348
    http://collegian.com/index.php/arti...owed_pepper_spray_tasers_under_weapons_policy

Now what is great is that the county sheriff will not enforce this ridiculous ban:)

Thoughts?

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I am in favor of the ban. Mostly it boils to my own personal opinion.

It looks like the law is in their favor.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hey, great! Create a free-fire zone for nutzoids! Encourage another VaTech!

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

You know what's funny? Is that that is true

Restricting carry rights on campus WILL NOT prevent a nutjob from bringing a gun to shoot up people

People that have concealed weapons are amongst the most responsible I know. All this is is a reaction to Va Tech but it in no way comes close to solving the problem

All this does is penalize law abiding citizens, not the ones that have the intent to harm

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

I don't think that allowing everyone access to firearms will prevent 'nutzoids' from acting accordingly. There were so many more problems leading up to the VaTech incident other than lack of conceal carry. For instance the fact a nutzoid was allowed to purchase a weapon given his history. There were so many warning signs ignored prior to that event.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't like guns, but I don't have a lot of experience with guns. So I'm no authority on the subject, but I guess I have my prejudices (not necessarily bad). I think guns should be banned from all college campuses and schools and... really anywhere else. Civilians should, at most, only be able to purchase and possess hunting rifles.

So I dig this ban, but I'm not really going to put much effort into a debate.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

A great article
    http://www.collegian.com/index.php/article/2010/02/csu_gun_ban_based_on_ignorance_faulty_logic

8. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

So carry anyway.
    The fact the weapon is "concealed" - means nobody knows you have it.

9. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

The problem with a university trying to "trump" state law is very real; while Colorado campuses do have the authority to implement whatever weapons control policies they wish, these policies are irrelevant to the state law which takes precedence! Note that despite each university campus in each state having a staggering number of campus security guards, not a single one of the many campus shootings has been stopped or prevented by campus security! Nor have these college shootings been stopped or prevented by ridiculous "weapons control policies" drafted by university staff. Therefore, one of the only means of self defense on college campuses is in fact concealed carry lawful under state law; in this instance Colorado law and legal Colorado concealed weapon permit. So what CSU is advocating is making CSU students less safe!

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Looks like it is time to pull out the old classic:

[​IMG]

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If we are to describe the school shooters as irrational (re: crazy, nuts), then why is everyone so convinced that this person would also be making rational decisions about where to attack?

I'd argue that the school shooters weren't just hoping to kill lots of people, but were also hoping to go down in a "blaze of glory."

Also, of note, many of the school shooters went after their friends and acquaintances, people they would know to either engage immediately or to avoid entirely.

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

That authority is granted by the law itself, so such policies aren't irrelevant. Colorado basically augments the carry conceal law with specific provisions, one of which allows certain establishments to decide whether to allow weapons. No one is forced to attend or to enter the campus, no rights are violated.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There goes the law abiding responsible gun owner theory.

14. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Because the kind of person that would kill people with a handgun would only do it if it were legal.
    This made me smile :D

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I donn't get you, InTheNet, are you for or against big governments? Shouldn't you be into local governments governing their own property?

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Reality Check

Most people packing a gun would be loathe to really use it. If anything, they would close their eyes while pulling the trigger and their bullets would miss by yards, in every possible direction they might aim. The gun becomes more of a liability to the user, rather than the perp (that is assuming they even manage to get a round off).

As to whether there is truly a need for college students to be carrying a concealed weapon, I suggest that only in very rare cases is that required, or even advisable. The BoR gives us the right to own, bear arms and form a militia. As citizens, I think we have a right for protection against the so-called 'patriots', who hide behind a literal translation of the Constitution, but are not screwed on real tight. You know; the ones shooting up abortion clinics, doctors, jews, atheists, liberals, immigrants, or anyone else they perceive as 'the enemy'.

Hell, a large percentage of whackos have CWPs, just because they have not come to someone's attention yet.

17. mac88 macrumors 6502

So what is going to happen when there is an "off duty" police officer in the class or an officer that is allowed to take a class, on duty while in uniform? Some nut comes in and starts shooting, who is everyone going to look at? The police officer who can not carry his/her firearm into the class. There will be countless blowhards who would want the officer to be sued, fired, blah blah because he/she had a duty to act and they did not. I know if there was a police officer in my class he would be the first one I look at for help in this situation. Now many students/teachers can't because some administrator wants to play god? On a whole that is what the administration is doing. I'm sorry, but that is why there are concealed carry laws in this country. Colleges and Universities of today are quite sad.

18. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

You really got me confused.....i thought by CSU you meant

the California State University System:eek:

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I thought he was referring to Chester Students Union.

20. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Police officers are a completely different situation. In WA State where I live, police officers are required to carry their weapons, even while off-duty. The majority pack them concealed, but a few wear them openly. The rules of engagement apply the same as if they were on-duty (and rightly so, if they become involved in a shooting situation).

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

hulugu, the issue is that of restriction against those who have CHLs. Those people are in no way whatsoever the nutzoids about whom one worries.

SMM, you may close YOUR eyes when shooting, but I've yet to meet anybody with a CHL who is that incompetent.

Aside from any other pistol shooting over the previous thirty or forty years, I acquired and then have twice renewed my CHL I've provided shooting ranges for instructors' classes, observing a fair number of them. I've yet to see anybody fail the 50-round shooting test, including distances of 25 yards.

I've been in this sort of argument since 1967. I've yet to figure out how allegedly rational people can assume that because they are incompetent with a handgun that nobody else can be competent. Further gripe: They're sexist as all get-out when it comes to the idea of women defending themselves with a handgun, given the attitude that a woman would be helpless in spite of being armed.

Rant mode off.

And, FWIW, absent the high-testosterone SWAT guys and a relatively few others, the average cop can barely qualify with his handgun. The situation is improving, but slowly.

22. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Against big government but that is a distraction to this issue!

The issue of firearms ownership is legally extended to all citizens through the Second Amendment of the Constitution on the federal level. On the state and local level, concealed weapons permits (concealed carry) is a right extended by the state via authorized permit issued to the individual. Both of these rights "trump" what CSU is attempting to do on their campus, hence County Sheriff, Jim Alderden's comments. With more and more instances of danger at the nation's universities, students need to think of their own welfare - local law enforcement and college security has been completely ineffectual - therefore student concealed carry is a means of survival that universities cannot deny.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Interesting, in North Carolina, one may not carry a concealed weapon onto any educational property, as it is a violation of the Conceal/Carry Permit. Since my CCP has reciprocity in Colorado, I could legally carry (concealed) there, but I'd still never take it onto EDU property. One should note, however, that CSU is a state institution, so they must have some sort of state government sanction for this ban.

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Britain = no guns allowed by any citizen (legally). No major university or school shootings for over a decade.

United States = concealed firearms allowed to be carried by citizens in most states (I think). At least 3 major shootings in the last decade. Many more deaths from shootings in general too.