Cuba - Is it Time to Lift the Embargo?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, May 2, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The United States of America has maintained an embargo against Cuba since 1960. This embargo has not brought the change that US wanted and has served to keep an island nation somewhat impoverished. Is it time to lift the embargo with Cuba and turn the page on that relationship?

Cuba has resorts, beaches and sugar cane. Cuba has a socialized medicine system. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, Cuba has suffered greatly. The closest neighbor of the Island nation continuing to block trade with them. The country is rich with culture. Boxing and baseball are popular sports.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you could make a strong argument that the best way to keep a Communist Dictatorship in charge of Cuba would be to continue the US Embargo. As long as the Castro Government can point to the hardship caused by the imperialist Yanquis, its much harder for any dissident movement to gain traction.

Of course, efforts to rationalize the US relationship with Cuba are inevitably stymied by the peculiarities of US domestic politics. Florida is one of the biggest swing-states, and since the 1960s the emigre Cuban population (and now their children and grandchildren) has been a key voting bloc. Any rapprochement with Cuba has been portrayed as betraying the interests of those people who may cling to the hope of someday reclaiming the family sugar plantation or Havana nightclub that was nationalized in the Cuban revolution.

I think since the fall of the Berlin Wall, many in the upper reaches of the US foreign policy and intelligence communities have hoped that Cuba would somehow succumb to the same populist sentiments that brought down dictatorships from Tripoli to Tirana. But somehow it hasn't happened - and more to the point doesn't seem to be any more likely today than it did fifty years ago.

Every other country in the world has reasonably normal relations with Cuba. British and German tourists are free to go there, and French hotel companies are building resorts aplenty. The biggest risk to Cuba going forward, however, is that Mafia interests - both traditional Sicilian and their modern brutal Russian cousins - are in real danger of creating a presence that could strangle any hopes for post-Castro Cuba.

4. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Isn't it amazing that all the other countries allow travel to Cuba but for us to get to Cuba, we have to travel through a third country. In addition we can't even make a direct phone call to Cuba.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The embargo is pointless but I'm not Cuban. My family wasn't executed by the Castro regime and had their livelihood and property taken by force.

6. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Will the embargo accomplish what the USA wants it to accomplish. It hasn't in 40 years….

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Who wants to be the president that that has to try and explain that to Florida's Cuban population?

8. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Was there ever a good reason for the embargo?

9. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

That would be the platform plank that lost Florida for that party… Either party tried it, it is over. Which is sad because many Cubans would like to see their relatives.

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

A big part of it is to keep the riding on scooters and baby boomer generation happy.

11. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Yes they should, it is a old outdated policy....

12. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If we ended the embargo, would you visit Cuba?

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Nope. I will never set foot in a communist nation unless it is a deployment.

Besides, why bother when there is Puerto Rico.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Uh why?

Most of the goods in your house come from a communist nation?

What did Cuba ever do to you? I've been there, its a old school country full of incredibly kind people.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes

16. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've visited Cuba a decade ago with a friend that sails. The restrictions and questions asked when returning to the USA almost made you feel dirty. You are allowed to purchase fuel, food and provisions in Cuba but that is about it (at least you were then).

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I always counsel my American friends against taking an unauthorized trip to Cuba via Mexico or Canada. I'm sure it would be a fascinating place to go, but going there is (in most cases) against the law for US citizens, and - heaven forbid - if you got into trouble there isn't much the (normally fantastic) US State Dept. can do to get you home.

The current situation is a terrible tragedy. Because by any logical turn of events, Cuba and the USA ought to be great allies and trading partners. Cuban beaches, hotels, music, nightlife, and standards of service could - quite frankly - put Jamaica and most other Caribbean resort islands to shame. And they play baseball! Imagine the Yankees or Dodgers doing spring training in Havana or Santiago....

As I alluded to earlier, there is a real and growing influence by Italian and Eastern European organized crime cartels in Cuba. In a nation where a physician gets paid less than a hundred dollars a month, and a policeman not much more, these villains have the means to get away with just about anything. If and/or when the Castro regime gives way to something else, the last thing America needs is a failed kleptocracy 80 sea miles from Florida. Hyman Roth (oops, Meyer Lansky) might have been a SOB, but at least he was our SOB....

18. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

At that time, my friend that I sailed with was US Navy and had a friend who was a Marine officer at Gitmo. You have to apply for permission to sail to Cuba because you will have to go to marina. As I said, it was years ago. I had a great job on the sailboat. I was ballast.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

[SouthernDad] My mom remarried into a very large Cuban family in 1982 who all fled Cuba in the 60s. They used to be very anti-Cuba/pro boycott etc. but I've seen their positions change over the years. They pretty much all now think that the embargo is ridiculous and has likely extended Castro's time in power. [/SouthernDad]

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not aware of any way in which the embargo actually helps those who still reside in Cuba.

22. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Then how do certain politicians and entertainment personalities get Cuban cigars to smoke? Wouldn't that be illegal too?

----------

We're a global economy now.

Will you stop wearing clothing made in them? (e.g. Vietnam)

Or use computers made in them? (e.g. China)

Or eat food exported from there?

Vote with your wallet if you're serious. Western companies have no qualms improving economic conditions of communist countries you don't seem to like by offshoring jobs (and getting US taxpayer money), giving them source code to improve products with, etc. So communism can't clearly be as bad as we've made it out to be in the past. Not when we keep hearing how they're improving in many areas, and even doing better than the Western nations that helped build them up.

(note: Articles referenced accord accuracy I do not vouch for, but in lieu of other information, they are presented for others to make up their own minds with.)

23. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, technically Cuban cigars are illegal if they are made in Cuba.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It helps the people who reside in Cuba and are part of the government to stay in power as it lets them blame any problems on the US.

But yeah it was time to end the embargo years ago. Hopefully with changing demographics the Democrats will get more states safely in their column which will allow them to ignore the Cubans in Florida and actually end the embargo.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm curious whether Cubans in Florida actually support it. I doubt any of them believe that the embargo is going to topple the Cuban government. Someone might be able to provide reasoning here, but to me it seems like useless political posturing. If I'm concerned about anything, it's that it has more of a negative impact on Cuban citizens than their government.