Cuba travel restriction lifted, ahh... eased.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Apr 13, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/13/some-cuba-travel-restrict_n_186197.html

Update: eased. not completely "lifted", as always, some place likes to exaggerate in the title.

Anyway, a good step towards a good direction.

2. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

But that doesn't mean we can go there yet, does it?

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm not a fan of this "only Cuban Americans" can go....of course, its great they can go...but so should everyone who wants to!

The Cold War is over...we won, MOVE ON!

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Does this mean I can finally get Cuban cigars? That would be great.

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Here's the problem: Cuba's infrastructure is woefully insufficient to handle the potential crush of tourists from the USA in 2009.

It's like China shortly after it resumed normal relations with the USA--it will take at least 8-10 years for Cuba to rebuild its infrastructure to be ready for large-scale American tourism.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're asserting that the reason we have a Cuban embargo is to... protect Cuba? :confused:

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Where did you get that from? All he's saying is that the demand of so many more tourists to travel to the relatively small nation will not be able to be met until they build up. Cuba has, though, been a tourist destination for other nations, so there is a decent amount of infrastructure to cope with a moderate degree of tourism already, but it certainly isn't the industry keeping the island's economy alive.

However, it doesn't seem as if free movement is available between the two nations yet. But this does make a good step. There have, however, always been loopholes in getting to Cuba from America, such as flying through Mexico City.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well that was in response to his assertion "Here's the problem..." I assumed he was speaking of the problem with lifting the embargo, since that was the topic. Maybe he was speaking about a different problem though. That's why I asked the question. To give him an opportunity to clarify.

9. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

That was what I was going to say. :)

Cuba as of right now is like China in the early 1980's--not yet completely ready to handle the potential massive increase in tourists from the outside, especially the USA. Just the upgrade to Havana's Jose Marti airport will have to be enormous, to say the least.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suspect they will manage.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As soon as they lift travel restrictions enough to attract the Cruise Ships, things will happen quick for them.

Don't think it will take 8-10 years to rebuild if the Cruise Lines jump on board.

The first year after the cruise lines show, the money will likely pour in from the companies currently active there to open stores, hotels, activities, etc. to attract people to fly in instead.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Turn Cuba into a kind of offshore Disneyland? I think you may find some resistance to that idea. Perhaps a quick glimpse of Cuban history may enlighten.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given how few Americans travel abroad to the countries they *are* allowed to go to I don't think it'll be a big problem.

While travelling I met more Irish, Swedish and Canadians (to name some countries) than Americans, and those countries are *much* smaller than the US in population terms.

I dunno if that is meant to be a joke, but actually it is a good question, I think you might have find it hard to get into the US if you'd been to Cuba on the same passport. Personally I was pretty glad my Vietnamese visa wasn't found when I entered the US.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can (Unless Australia has any restrictions like the US does). Cuba has never restricted anyone from entering the country and from what I hear, welcomes tourists

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I also want to know if I can buy a Cuban.

18. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Cuba--just from its sheer land mass size--has the potential to be WAY more than just an "offshore" Disneyland. There is enough arable land in Cuba to make it one of the world's most lucrative areas of tropical agricultural production, period, especially given that gigantic market only across the Straits of Florida. :) I think Raul Castro envisions Cuba to be a miniature version of modern China within 15 years.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

FWIW... Delta has expressed interest in opening the route

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FWIW, Cuba is, in fact, my dream vacation spot. I want nothing more than to photograph it. :eek: Delta and I may begin a nice long relationship. I am going to start saving my pennies.

After being denied twice to go by the US Embassy I was told I could get there by way of another country but if anything happened I was toast. I refrained out of fear. I hope they drop the "ease" and add the "lift" and let me get my wish before I turn 40.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I will keep you posted on any progress with this

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I would like to go for the same reason! Most of my architect/urban design friends would like to go as well. Apparently Havana is an amazing place, but that it is falling apart from lack of upkeep. I have no doubt that Cuba would see a huge inpouring of Americans if we were allowed to go.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's just it... they are allowed to go those places, so the appeal isn't the same
    After being told "no" for so long, many are very interested in going to Cuba just because they couldn't

Kinda like being told "no" as a kid... made you want to do it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually, as a student studying architectural design I can tell you the decision came long ago and it was to photograph the city that is, in fact, falling, to experience the architecture and the people. The colors used and what the bring to the place as a whole. Yeah, it is not about being told no, it is about wanting to see something I have never seen.

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I get that in your case because of your photography background and interest, and from I understand, you won't be disappointed. To be sure, there are many like you who would find this a motivator.

I was just saying for the general traveler, there is interest because it has been off limits.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]