Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Seems every so often I have a problem with my cube, the issue however seems to have originated when I put in the Seagate Barracuda 80gig a couple months ago. Sometimes the harddrive makes this weird beep-noise, then a few minutes later my computer locks up. We're not talking very often, this occurs maybe every three months, and often it occurs in OS9.
Tonight though, I was running AudioDesk in 9 and I was mixing down, It beeped and I knew I was going to lose the mix... sure enough it locked up a little bit later. Something new happened though, when I booted back into to X, the os9 partition wont mount... could be that there are errors on that partition. When I run the disk utility it says "Invalid extent entry" It won't repair the partition either...
Also, the time on the task bar is in Military time.. which is something I've never set it up as...
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
To remove the military time, go to System Preferences > International > Time > 12 hour clock. But I don't think that is the heart of the matter.

I think it's time to reinitialize the disk. But before you do, run Norton Systemworks 2 from the CD (Antivirus, Disk Doctor, the works) and see if the problem still occurs. If it does, back up all your data and do a fresh install. The problem could be from a software conflict. If it is, doing a fresh install of OS 9, then OS X, should remove the problem.

I think you originally questioned whether or not installing OS 9 where OS X is already on the Hard Drive would remove your data. It didn't, but I think because of just not remembering to install OS 9 first might have caused this issue.

If you have a spare external Hard Drive, save some time copying files over and bring them over there. If you have a portable computer with plenty of free disk space leftover (enough for what you have on your computer), use Firewire Target Disk mode to safely copy everything over.

If you are not sure how that works, refer to this article.

docs.info.apple.com

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
All very fine points, thanks for your help.

The os9 issue from months ago may very likely be the cause, I'll crack open the cube this week, pull the cdrom and reboot using dual harddrives in the cube.. swap some files and do a complete system reinstallation (remembering 9 to begin with).
I really need to look into cpu upgrades as well, this 450 is really sucking.. thanks again!

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
MacAztec:
As I said before, it was a g4 450 cube with a Seagate Barracuda 7200 80gig.
What machine/drive were you experiencing the problem with?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Hey, Aztec... what happened to giving a title to every one of your posts? :D

I guess Seagate Hard Drives may have difficult functioning with certain model Macs, or it's just a software conflict.

Personally, I have never played around with this HD, that HD. But judging by what MacAztec is saying, you may want to replace your Hard Drive, as well as back up all your data.

As for processor upgrades, IF you really need to upgrade a processor, I think your better off getting a new computer, unless you can find a dual processor or high speed single processor CPU, with Jaguar and OS 9 compatability, and with lots of positive reviews, for under $300.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
My parents have had about 3 Seagate drives and each and every one of them failed.

Wierd since my dad worked for them at the time.
rolleyes.gif

I've also had a WD drive fail, but I now have a 20GB Samsung and an 80GB IBM, both of which have never crashed or failed in any way.

BTW, if you find out that your Cube is f*cked beyond repair, I know someone *cough*me*cough* that'll take it.
grinning.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.