Curiosity: Did God Create The Universe?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by phas3, Nov 13, 2011.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I just finished watching the first episode of the Discovery Channel series Curiosity; this first episode begged the question "Did God Create The Universe". I love this episode with Stephen Hawkings as the host. However, I'm a bit confused towards the end, I'm no brainiac so I was wondering if you guys could shed some light as to the conclusion of the episode.

Conclusion(I think, correct me if I'm wrong): The Universe consist of matter, energy (whom both are the same) and space. For the Universe to be created there had to be negative energy to balance out positive energy, all the positive energy is what we now call the Universe and all of the negative energy is now space. There was no creator of the Universe because before the Big Bang the Universe was pretty much a Black Hole and there is no time in a Black Hole which means there was no time for a "creator" to create the Universe.

My question (I might have to watch the episode two more times lol) is what happened in the Black Hole to create the BIG BANG?

Another question: If Energy is made out of Photons and in the subatomic level Photons can magically appear and disappear and reappear again, was that the case of the Big Bang?

Sorry I feel like I'm confusing myself.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Honestly, I can't stand those type of shows. I believe God did create the universe, but there is absolutely no way to scientifically prove either way. There are a lot of people with a lot of theories both ways, but none concretely prove anything.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Making up stories about a "God" creating the universe is not helpful or logical.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I do agree with that, I was raised a Catholic, thought the Catholic ways through my parents/grandparents. I'm 24 now, and I'm not very religious anymore. I would tend to think of myself as a "thinker" but I do believe that there is someone/something of higher power out there. I do however, exercise the theories of both religion and science. I think its a wonderful thing that both can exist and we have the choice to believe one or the other or believe both.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So you opt for the fantasy option? interesting

7. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I would like to remind everyone, this was not meant to be a God vs Science debate. But you're thoughts on either is accepted, I just want to try and avoid this thread turning into an argument. Also don't forget my questions in the OP! :D

8. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

If You Buy Into The Big Bang Theory

That's fine. And what created the Bang? In other words where is the REAL starting point?

Call it God if you will, or a higher being, but the whole Universe and galaxies beyond were not formed from zip.

Just a thought.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yikes. Thanks for reminding me why I don't post in PRSI.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Putting God in a title in a PRSI thread? And you don't want this to turn into an argument? Good luck. :D

11. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

well I mean that was the title of the episode haha, this is going to be a tough one.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

***** happened.

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The problem is you kind of need some high level scientific knowledge to understand this stuff. TV shows just don't cut it. All my sciences degree taught me is enough to know I don't know enough to understand!

The problem is we live in a quantum mechanical universe, but experience our lives under the illusion of classical mechanical universe. People then apply these concepts to the origin of the universe, quite incorrectly.

Many people state "you can't get something from nothing" as if it's some established scientific fact. On the contrary, the experiments and data consistently suggests you can get something from nothing, the trouble is understanding what "nothing" actually is. With quantum mechanics there's no reason why you can't pass through a wall. Our notions of cause and effect don't really apply. Time goes a bit wibbly-wobbly.

Overall, people seem to think science has no idea how the univserse began, when in fact there are a good few interesting working theories. The problem is you and I don't know enough to really appreciate them. All I know is there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a God, and hence to create the universe. I'm just going to continue to try as hard as I can to comprehend what the scientists say, who are the experts.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You have no proof and no way of knowing such a thing.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Can't think of anything, therefore God."
    Not exactly Descartes, but it seems to be much in favour.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What in the world is so scary that people can't just say, "Hey, I don't know what created the universe, and indeed, if anything did"? Why is not knowing something so scary?

17. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for this very informative posts! So onto what Stephen Hawkings has said about there can not be a creator because time did not exist in a black hole in which the Universe came about. One can always raise the question, what created what? As in, if the universe came from a black hole, what created the black hole? If X created the Black Hole what created X? And if Y created X what created Y?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anyway so according to Stephen Hawking how the universe came to be from a black hole was just spontaneous? It "just" happened? (which is the Big Bang) Someone more intelligent than myself explain through his theory of how the black hole pooped our universe out..

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No control. People get scared when there's nobody at the rudder.

19. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Again we both hit the problem about understanding how the universe really works, people tend to think of time as something basic like a clock ticking when it's actually really complex. If time "started" (we could debate for ages about what started means) at the big bang then there was no need for anything to cause it... it's almost as if it was its own cause... my head hurts!

Do a quick google for quantum vacuum fluctuations, they are a real nightmare to comprehend, but a fascinating insight into getting something from nothing. The issue is, as I said earlier, what is "nothing"?

One of the points a physicist once raised to me is this- what if nothing exists? If you take the number 0 you have nothing, if you take 1 and -1 you have two somethings. Add them together and you are back to nothing. So nothing can be expressed as two equal and opposite somethings, what if that is how the universe was created? Positive and negative energy, summing to nothing. If nothing exists there is no need for anything to create it!

Again, I am simply poorly stating concepts I do not myself understand. What I do know is that some people far more knowledgeable than me are making progress into the origin of the universe. If I were to invoke a God into the equation I would feel like I was insulting them.

20. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

21. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

OK, what you/they are saying that there was a spontaneous ejaculation into a big black hole which became known as the primordial big bang. Sweet.
    KGB:rolleyes:

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I don't claim to have a really deep scientific understanding of these kinds of matters, but when pondering where all of this came from, I try to remind myself that we are inclined to think of things as having a beginning, an end and a creator, simply because each of us has a beginning (birth), an end (death) and a creator (mother). So the fact that our entire worldview and everyday existence is framed by this makes it particular difficult to imagine that the universe wasn't, by necessity, created, but may instead just 'be'.

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Nobody cares where the start of it was. Science can't logically explain it so they don't address it. It's easier to forget about that part then it is to think for a second that maybe science is wrong.

Look at how many arrows down you got. No one ever explains this they just say that God can't be behind it because they don't believe in Him and they condemn anyone who does with one liners and head shakes.

24. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Because defaulting to a childish and strangely vengeful (ironically also oxymoronic) deity whose rules and opinions were voted on by a bunch of men in the 4th century holds no logical reasoning in the endeavour to explain our origin.

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Except that He is our origin. ;)

And since your response was nothing but opinions (albeit mainly insulting one liners as my original quote stated) I would say I have no need in trying to explain anything further.

And since this will just turn into another I say, you say thread on religion, dominated by those who enjoy bashing it, quick I am going to politely bow out now.