Curious: Do You Save Websites to Your Home screen? (Yes, dumb but curious)

Do You Save Websites to Your Home Screen?

• Yes

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Never

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I Did Before iOS 7 Safari

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I just use the website's actual app (if it exists)

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I put this in the iOS forum because it affects all iOS devices.

I realize this is kind of a stupid question, but I'm genuinely curious. I just remembered that you can save an icon to home screen for websites.

Do you do this?
Did you do this before iOS 7 started displaying your favorites in an icon view?
Or do you just use the App, assuming the website has an accompanying app (which I find are not always that good.)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I tried it once in 2011 but it didn't stick. Then Safari got the favorite icons so I was set.

But now with the extra screen space of the 6 I just remembered that I could use it if I wanted to.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I used to for Facebook. (it's now suspended)

When the Facebook app broke and stopped allowing the receipt of messages, notifying, but not letting you rad them, I deleted it. And switched to the home screen shortcut, could still read messages through it.

Also, CanIStream.It

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My dad does this. He has some for Yahoo Mail, Gmail, among other stuff like PDF manuals. Go figure! :rolleyes:

There are/were some web apps that people used to bookmark. I know Forecast.io and some of the other weather stuff can be used in fullscreen Safari by doing this.

I prefer using the favorites in Safari now too. They just make more sense and they sync to OS X.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
If I frequent website, I do save them to my desktop. I also, within that site, as in MacRoumors, save the areas of the site that I go to often. That is how I got to this OS 8 section. I then put all the bookmarks together in a folder for similar sites. In my MacRoumors folder, I have: iPad, iPhone, IOS 8, quote notifications and Marketplace.
I find it convenient.:D

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Why don't you just open safari and click on favorites?
I just find it convenient as most of the time my iPhone has a heap of tabs open so getting to bookmarks requires me to 1. Load safari, 2. Press the bookmarks button at the bottom of safari, 3. Press the bookmarks menu to at the top of the screen to move from reading list to bookmarks 4. tap favourites 5. find the book mark in a list 6. Tap it

VS

1. Tapping to open the folder on my dock 2. Locating page (Easy to do with icons of the website instead of just text 3. Tap page.

Much simpler for me :p

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I do that for Facebook to send messages. I removed the app because the default app you can't send messages anymore and I won't ever install facebook messenger app.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Facebook because I have two separate accounts but now it is no longer save username and password. I have have to delete it in the future. :apple:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have the MacRumours homepage and WPCentral added as homescreen shortcuts while I look for a good RSS reader.
Reeder 2 is good, although I'm annoyed that for the price they charged they haven't announced an iPhone 6/6 Plus update.

If I frequent website, I do save them to my desktop. I also, within that site, as in MacRoumors, save the areas of the site that I go to often. That is how I got to this OS 8 section. I then put all the bookmarks together in a folder for similar sites. In my MacRoumors folder, I have: iPad, iPhone, IOS 8, quote notifications and Marketplace.
I find it convenient.:D
I never thought of that. That's quite creative.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I do this for Facebook. I hate the app & separate messenger. I just have a Homescreen icon for it now. I check it far less than I used to since I'm not constantly bombarded with notifications.

Some websites like food52.com don't have a real app so I use it for that also. It's basically just a quick bookmark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.