Curious: is each Android manufacturer responsible for their own OS update releases?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RoboCop001, Dec 14, 2010.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hi

I just did a quick Google search and it seems to me that every company that builds Android phones needs to send out their own OS updates.

I'm guessing because they have to tweak each update for their own hardware?

I notice that Google always says they'll be pushing an update to Nexus owners specifically, so therefore say Samsung would have to push their own update of 2.3, for example.

I saw that Samsung also recently confirmed that Galaxy will get a 2.3 update.

Funny... I just assumed that any recent Android phone would be pretty much guaranteed to get a recent update.

Is this correct? Just curious.

Then then would also mean that you're not guaranteed to even receive an update right?

2. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

Yes because they run modified versions of Android, HTC Sense, Sony Ericsson timescape etc. The advantage of having a Google phone is that it runs vanilla android and gets the updates right away.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

bit of both. The manufactures are responsible for their own OS updates and after the manufacture finish them they have to do any other changes the carriers want on top of it as well.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep.

The manufacturers need to put their stupid theme on the OS before they release it.

5. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting.

Thanks for the replies!

I suppose if I got an Android phone it would be best to go with a Google phone if I want to be guaranteed that I'd get updates. Even if there are other phones with a couple of better features. Do most of you agree?

I wouldn't want to buy a Galaxy S and then find out there won't be any updates, that would suck haha.

With that said... I'm still trying to bag an iPhone 4 lol.

Off topic... if you live in Toronto, and know a Rogers store that has relatively decent stock of 32GB, let me know :D. I suppose I could just try going to an Apple store early on a weekend though.

Back on topic...

How different are 3rd party Android phones than a Google phone? I'm guessing it's just a few custom apps, maybe some carrier restrictions? Or are there larger UI differences that are always there? Every time I try one at a store, they seem.... messy? And I can't tell if it's like that just because it's like that, or because people screw around with it, or if perhaps it's the manufacturer's custom things that make it messy (and laggy?).

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Nexus One and Nexus S are the only "Google" phones that will be the first to get updates.

You mentioned Rogers, so I assume you're on them. The Nexus S which is coming out this month is not compatible with the 3G bands Rogers and AT&T use. Neither was the Nexus One when it first came out, but they eventually released a new version which is. I hope they'll do the same with the Nexus S, because right now they're shutting out 2 of the largest carriers in North America, and I want an AT&T 3G Nexus S.

7. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm interesting. Kind of the opposite of iPhone (at least up here in Canada) where some of the newer, smaller carriers can't support it because of the frequencies they use.

That's definitely a phone I would consider over the iPhone so I'd like to get my hands on one to try it out. I'd probably still grab an iPhone though.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

There's always the option of buying a Nexus S and using it on Edge until the 850/1900 version comes out and then selling the AWS version.

9. Abstract, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, I don't agree.

How often do you want/need to update your phone's OS? There will definitely be updates available, but it'll take longer to get them. You probably won't NEED the very latest update. Every manufacturer likes to "skin" the GUI, which is good because many companies offer a GUI that's better than the regular Google Android GUI. It takes longer, but it may be worth it.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It depends. HTC Sense is supposed to be pretty good. Samsung's Touchwiz is meh, and Motorola's BLUR is, from what I hear, crap.

I prefer the stock Google Android UI myself - The Nexus One and Nexus S, despite being made by HTC and Samsung, have the stock Google UI, rather than Sense or Touchwiz.

11. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm I suppose that's true. I just like being able to update it when the update is out, especially if there's a big improvement.

I'd definitely like to try the different GUIs side by side though.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Once you go Nexus you won't look back ;)

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's assuming they release an 850/1900 version. They did with the Nexus One, I hope they do for the Nexus S. My credit card is standing by ;)

The Nexus One (AWS version) was released in December 2009. The AT&T version was released in March 2010. So maybe we'll see a Nexus One for AT&T in March 2011.

Truth. Although I hear HTC Sense is pretty good. If AT&T released the Desire HD I'd buy it in a heartbeat. AT&T's Android lineup sucks (which is why I hope they lose iPhone exclusivity, so they'll stop holding back their Android lineup)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's a pity that Google/Samsung didn't go with an 850/900/1700/1900/2100 chipset. Such a thing exists (it's in the Nokia N8) and it would solve a lot of problems and confusion.

I have the 850/1900/2100 Nexus One :)

15. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

What about syncing? How does it compare to syncing an iPhone?