Curious What is the life span of a macbook vs an Imac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gixxerredliner, Feb 4, 2009.

1. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2008
    Just wondering before i made my final purchase which usually last the longest? thanks
  2. Zenor macrumors member

Sep 7, 2008
  3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2008
    North Korea
    9/10 times a desktop will last longer, so the iMac.

They both have practically the same parts inside, as the iMac isn't a real desktop.

So the only real difference is that your not going to be moving the iMac around as much.
  4. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2008
    I would say most laptops have a life of 24-36 months. Meaning thats when some new tech or upgrade will come out to warant buying a new laptop. I try to trade mine in around the 24 month period.
  5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Dec 29, 2007
    Bought my Macbook in Oct 2008 with the 3 year Applecare programme - I plan to keep it for three years as my primary machine.

Lets see if it all goes to plan :D
  6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2007
    So far - so good with mine. 2 years and 8+ months and counting.

My son and daughter both have older PowerBooks and they're still strong as well.
  7. HaveBlue83 macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2007
    West Grove, PA~ Stationed at Fort Polk, LA
    it works till the warranty runs out and you gotta pay outta pocket to

as long as the screen isn't smashed/anything seriously wrong it should be usable for years. I have a 1.42Ghz G4 14" iBook and its still OK. I have a 900Mhz iBook G3 that got real beat up and smashed the screen/optical drive and it STILL powers up and can compute and do OK.
  8. gamer2502 macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2008
    near Pittsburgh,pa
    Well lets see what the oldest imac and ibook that can run leopard. Well a ibook from october22, 2003 can run leopard with a 1ghz g4 and a imac from february 4th 2003 can run leopard with a 1ghz g4 so it is virtually the same:apple: