Current AT&T customer (but no iPhone) wants to buy 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evillageprowler, Jun 12, 2008.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Folks,

I am a current AT&T cell phone customer on a family plan with my wife. We have no data plan. I am ~ 9 months into my contract (2-yr contract).

Can I buy a new 3G iPhone at the $199/$299 price? Will I need to have a new, additional plan that will effectively force me to have 3 lines? I am wondering if I can simply buy a 3G iPhone and increase my existing plan $30/month. I don't want a third line, and would prefer not to have to change my current number.

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I wasn't able to find it by using the search feature.)

TIA,

EVP

2. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

I found this in another thread, but it doesn't really answer my questions (and I'm not sure how accurate it is):

---
    In addition, here's an interesting quote from another ZD Net article: http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=240&tag=btxcsim

Quote:
    As for contract requirements, according to an AT&T spokesperson, current AT&T customers will be treated like new AT&T customers when it comes to the iPhone 3G. All will receive the same $199/$299 pricing - the only difference is that existing customers will reset their contract period to two years. That’s a surprisingly decent move on their part, since it means that many folks — myself included — will be able to receive two carrier-subsidized handsets within a one-year period.
    ---

EVP

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I don't know if anything "official" has been stated yet, there's conflicting reports that if you're an established subscriber and your payments have been on time, and you're not at the beginning of your contract etc, etc.. the CSR will be able to push through the early upgrade.. Whether or not they'll charge you for an early upgrade or even allow it is anyones guess, that's just one of the stories I heard...

Right now everything is pretty much speculation, although I spoke to two different people yesterday one at Apple the other at AT&T, who both confirmed that "on site activation" won't be mandatory, meaning you can buy it and activate it at home through ITunes just like the previous generation IPhone, in which case if you do it that way, you'll just have to reup on a new 2 year contract and the new data rates...

4. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

You WILL NOT need a 3rd line, you keep your number, your 2 person family plan, etc., and just pay 30 bucks a month more. My girlfriend did this on her family play when she got an iPhone in December.

However, I doubt you'll get the 199/299 price because of the AT&T article that was released says you need to be eligible for an upgrade to get those prices.

I am in the exact same situation as you. I have a family plan and a 2 year contract, I'm about 18 months through my contract, Hopefully it won't be too much more money since we're not eligible to upgrade.

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I think a lot of us are wondering the same thing. Im not upgrade eligible, dont currently have an iphone, but plan on buying the new one. I dont mind having to extend my contract if required, but I will raise a fuss if I have to pay a lot more for a phone because that goes against what Steve announced and he is the one who should be determining the price, NOT AT&T.