Current Best Value 4K USB-C Monitor w/>85W Power Delivery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjcaguy, May 19, 2019.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

I'm hunting for a monitor to use with an incoming standing desk. All the threads I've found on here were over a year old, and most of the articles I've seen were targeted at gamers or creative professionals. I'm neither of those, but I am looking for a USB-C monitor that will charge my 2018 15" MBP and allow a one cable setup. I'd also like an additional USB-C port to plug my USB-C external HD into so I can get Time Machine backups running all the time rather than once a week like I do now when I remember to connect the HD. ;)

I know the LG Ultrafine 5K is out there but I'm wondering if there's another option in the $500-700 range instead. I'd appreciate any recommendations!

2. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I don't have a suggestion but would be curious to see the answers.

3. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I wouldn’t worry too much about it being 85W. I use an LG 4K and it’s only 60W and I’ve never had a problem with my 15” MBP

4. geenick macrumors newbie

I just posted almost the same exact thread but I found a couple of monitor models that look promising.

I see that the Philips 258B6QUEB has 60W PD. Is that sufficient for a 15" MB? What happens when you connect a display with this level of power delivery?

That Philips monitor also has an ethernet port, so it looks like a decent option as a dock/monitor combo.

I've also looked at the Samsung S24H851QFN...

Thoughts? Experiences?

5. shansoft macrumors 6502

Your GPU is activated while in external monitor, and become much easier to go beyond 60w.
    It essentially burn through your battery life cycle.

I have a friend who did this, and within months of usage, his battery capacity went below 80%

----------

The best bet is to use thunderbolt dock if you don't want to spend extra on monitors.

If you want a monitor that does it, I would suggest Benq's pd3220u. It's a great display with 85W charging.