Current dismissers, if the price was right, would you go the X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ralfi, Sep 28, 2017.

?

If the price was reasonable, would you change your mind & buy the X?

1. Yes

47.0%
  2. No

53.0%
  1. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

If the price was reasonable, would you change your mind & go the iPhone X?

Be honest please.

2. Relentless Power, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say you would have more consumers on board, although, the other caveat would be if they would be willing to abandon touch ID for Face ID is the real question.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Voting NO!

I still prefer the finger ID for now. Maybe in a year or so but I think there are going to be some serious bugs in the X and can not risk that due to how much I depend on my phone. My 8+ will keep me happy.

4. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Nope.

The price isn't the issue, the fact it's too big is the issue.

5. 4ppleg1rl macrumors regular

No, I don't like the look of the X at all - but I suspect my feelings would be different once we actually get to see it in person.

The reasons I didn't want to go for the X (other than the price) are:
    • Face ID - Nope, don't like it - don't think it's ready. I'll let others try it out for a couple of years before I take the jump. Touch ID is perfectly fine.
    • That notch. - Yeah yeah, I know. But I can guarantee in a year or two it'll be gone so I'd rather wait for that.

I just generally feel like it's rushed and hasn't really been thought out properly. They just wanted a special phone for the 10year anniversary. Had Apple waited one more year, I feel like the X would have been more of a finished product, instead of looking like a prototype.

Other than that, with new models I tend to wait a few years until they're perfected before I jump in. I'll let others test it out for a year or two :)

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm not sure! If you had asked a week ago I may have said yes but I'm more than happy with the 8 Plus.

Also, if the X was cheaper, the 8 Plus would be priced lower making that an even better buy. :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Price is but one mitigating factor, the others are the lack of Touch ID. I'm not sold on FaceID. I'm sure it sounds fine on paper, but in practice, I'm not sure. I'll have to take a wait and see attitude. Secondly, the lack of multple faces limits it. I share my phone with my kids, and while they could keep typing in the code, I think its a feature that apple didn't fully implement.

The X being a first generation, and apple's track record for issues (either minor or major) are such that I'm less inclined to jump head first in the iPhone X pool. Again waiting may be a better option for me.

To summarize the price is significant, but there are other factors.

8. SmugMaverick macrumors member

SmugMaverick

It's not bezeless edge to edge is it, it's got a huge black bezel all around it and it looks fat compared to the s8, v30 and soon to be Pixel 2 XL.

It's old tech for £1000 and that IMO is disgusting.

Even if it was priced at £700 I'd be a little annoyed at the specs compared to others.

I've had every single iPhone so I don't say this lightly.

9. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I’ve had plenty of “bezel-less” Android phones, with OLED. I’m back on the iPhone 8 plus now and I don’t miss it.

If the price was right.....I would be tempted but probably not. I’ll give Face iD a year. Apples Touch ID is the best in the business, with maybe the pixel matching it. Having a fast and well placed fingerprint sensor is nice. I don’t realize how nice until you give it up, or have a less than ideal one (Samsung phones this year).

10. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

Nope. The only thing I like about the X is the display being OLED. That's it. I hate the notch, I hate the phone size, and I am not convinced of Facial ID yet. Everything else my iPhone 8 Plus has and makes me happy.

Now, if next year they come out with a Plus sized X with the notch removed by rounding and then straightening the top of the display slightly below all of the things the notch has in it, then I will be all over it.

11. Arran, Sep 28, 2017

Arran macrumors 601

Arran

What’s ‘reasonable’?

Is it $800? Some might still see that as too much money to risk on unproven Face ID technology in a device they depend on.

$400? $300? $200?

The lower you go, the more takers you’ll get - simply because the dollars at risk are lower.

12. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Up to you.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not as much as 'unreasonable'. ;)

14. Nick Milner macrumors member

Nick Milner

Price isn't the issue, it's just that there's no compelling reason to switch from my Galaxy S8. I'll wait and see what the S9 has to offer.

15. GeoffR86 macrumors newbie

If the X was priced at the same point as 8 then I would honestly still be favouring the 8 Plus, but it would have made the decision a lot harder.

I'm not a fan of the not-so-"bezeless" front design, and beyond that the differences between the X and the 8 Plus are not major.

I think next year's iPhone X successor will be the one to make me change.

16. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

$1 sounds perfectly reasonable for me. :D

17. mikey2004 macrumors regular

mikey2004

The faceID puts me off the most, maybe that will change after checking it out in the Apple Store and seeing reviews on it.

18. ACST Suspended

I woudn't buy it if it was cheaper, now I will.

19. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

So that's a yes? :D

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I’m not really a dismisser but I’m not fully sold, either. I think the X is really attractive but the 8 Plus is kind of tugging at my heart more.

2016’s IPhone 7 Plus was the first iPhone whose fingerprint sensor worked beautifully for me. At long last I felt “normal” like the rest of you lucky people who have enjoyed Touch ID for years. :p

I’m really rather reluctant to give that up. However, I saw enough demonstrations of Face ID to feel confident I could use it just fine. I just get a silly feeling of happiness when my fingerprints get recognized that I don’t get when the iris scanner would work on my S8+.

Cost isn’t a factor for me this year. My husband is in fact not just willing to foot the bill for the X, he’s more or less steering me into it. He wants one and he’s got a thing about us matching our phones since our Windows phone and Palm Treo days. And he at least wants me to try it so I won’t have any regrets if it turns out to surpass all expectations.

Left to my own, I’d pick the IPhone 8 Plus. Why? Because I’ve already “been there done that” with OLED and Edge to Edge on the S8+. I had a great honeymoon period with it and then went back to my 7 Plus for all the times it was better to take just one large phone rather than drag both around with me.

Some of that is due to a preference for iOS but a lot is due to feeling squeezed by the tall skinny display on the bezeless phone. And though I don’t love the look of bezels, they are useful “handles”.

There are enough things I have observed about OLED that put the gorgeous LCD display of the 8 Plus on a decently even footing with the X, as far as I can guess. I won’t know for sure until I see the X in person. At least the 8 Plus display compared well to my S8+ display and a store’s Note 8, in my very subjective opinion. I’m aware OLED spec wise can wipe the floor with the LCD display. All I’m saying is that I liked what I saw and my eyes were content viewing the 8 Plus display.

In the end, I guess it’s not so much that the IPhone X is rife with perceived deficiencies, but rather the IPhone 8 Plus is just that much of a refinement of a phone I’ve grown to love and respect after all these years and has impressed me when I saw it in person.

21. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

First generation so probably no. Having said that, if there was no notch it would be hard to join the other beta-testers in the wild. If I was paying what I'm paying for my 8 Plus and could upgrade in 12 months then, sure, why not.

22. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

No, because I’m still waiting for a larger OLED display and the S model next year that has many of the kinks out of it

23. bufffilm, Sep 28, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

For me, the price is secondary.

No TouchID
    The notch and the UI/UX compromises
    Still too big a phone (even w/minimum bezels)

Those are the main reasons why I said no to the ipX.

I also don't like that Apple eliminated the middle storage tier. That was pure greed on their part.

Happy to stay w/my 6s. (At times, even that...I wish was smaller.)

24. Q-Dog macrumors 6502a

Q-Dog

Price is irrelevent to me. I want a smaller device.

25. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I'm not sure. Though the price is high for possibly becoming a beta tester, even if it was lower, I would still be a beta tester and a lot of my issues with iOS would still be there.