current-gen 15" 2.53Ghz MBP or previous-gen 15" 2.4Ghz MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by caonimadebi, Oct 27, 2009.

1. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I've finally decided that the Macbook Air is not for me, and would like to trade away my SSD rev. C MBA. As I specified a 15" MBP, I've been getting offers of current generation base 15" MBP (2.53Ghz single GPU), as well as the previous-generation 2.4Ghz unibody 15" MBP (dual GPU), some with 2GB of RAM and some with 4.
    So here comes the decision: should I go for the newer computer, with its extended battery, or will I be happier with a dual GPU, but smaller battery, MBP?
    I do very basic computing tasks, such as email, browsing, and hulu/youtube watching. My only video requirement is that it'll be able to drive an external 1920x1200 display, while playing flash videos, without stuttering (like my MBA).

thanks for your help

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I doubt you will notice any difference having the dual graphics card system while on a daily basis you will get greater use out of a better battery.

All things being equal, I would pick the current-gen.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well either one will output on the external LCD fine. And based on what you described, you won't need the extra GPU, so the newer model would be better. However if you plan on playing games, go for the dedicated GPU model. Thats what the decision really hinges on.

Playing games: Older model with 2 GPU's
    No games: Newer model