Current status of GTX 460 in OS X with booster/helper card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by grue, Nov 27, 2010.

1. grue, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

grue macrumors 65816

As per the topic. Do we have these running correctly through the use of injectors and such? My reflashed 4890 blew up a few weeks ago and I'm waffling on what to replace it with. Prefer Nvidia stuff, so kinda hoping I can get a 460. I've got a GT120 I can use as a booster card.

2. grue thread starter macrumors 65816

3. shakesfist macrumors newbie

I have the gtx 460 in my Hackintosh. All I needed was the nvidia driver pack that was just released for the quadros. Though, for full compatibility, use the Tonymac one. http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/tonymacx86-NVIDIA-Update.zip This one has more device ID's so that your card will have a higher chance of being accepted.

Though... this was use on a hack, not a real. Results may vary. Please be careful, I am not responsible. :)

4. grue thread starter macrumors 65816

Dammit dammit dammit my research definitely isn't positive. I'm stuck with this piece of **** GT120 until I can find something to replace my dead 4890. UGH. 5870s are still more money than I want to spend and I hate ATI hardware anyway.
    :(

5. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

All we appear to know for the Fermi-class cards is that the injectors work OK on a real Mac Pro with a 480 supported by a boot helper (in my case a Mac 285 in an 08 Pro) and the Quadro 4000 drivers installed.

The problem with the PC cards is that it needs someone to take a chance, buy one and let everybody else know. In my case I wanted CUDA support under bootcamp so spent the dosh, and luckily now we have the Q4000 software it is OK under Snow Leopard, including CUDA. My 480 has had to go to someone else and I am facing same issue as you over 580 purchase......

If anyone has injected the 460 please can they post here? The OP should note that we will probably always have to boot off the 120 unless a Mac ed 4x0 comes out.

6. grue thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I ran Mac8800GT + PC GTX260SP for ages on my previous Mac Pro, so I don't mind the booster card situation, but I need to get a decent video card back in. After Effects is making me want to peel my face off with this POS.