Currently own MBP. Should I get an external monitor/keyboard or buy a new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aaronchow, Jul 22, 2011.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

I currently own a mid '09 13" based model MacBook Pro. If I want to upgrade my screen resolution, do you recommend that I purchase an additional monitor/keyboard combo or should I just sell my current MBP and re-purchase a based 21.5" iMac instead?

CPU speed isn't an issue for me as my work mainly deals with web design and .net programming, but I find that my current MBP's screen resolution is a bit too low for me, so I have to hide most of the panels and it really slows down my work. And I am using it more and more like a desktop, so mobility is not an issue to me as well.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like external monitor an KB+mouse combo is better for you. Portability is always a nice option and you said you don't need the extra power offered by iMac either.

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Personally, I LOVE the concept of a current-gen MB* with Thunderbolt plus a new TB Display. Massive connectivity and a great display for workstation mode, plus portability. Unfortunately it's not really possible with your MBP. Hammer is correct, the simplest route might be good for you (external mouse + keyboard/mouse/trackpad) but it's not crazy to sell yours, buy a new one with TB + a new display with TB.

4. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

If you don't need the portability, I guess getting the iMac makes more sense. Personally, I love having a portable desktop. And being able to run dual screens is very nice, even on the 13".

5. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

The older 20" Apple aluminium displays are quite cheap (at least compared to what they cost originally) and still very useable. I use mine with a MP and MBP via a DVI KVM and USB keyboard and mouse.