Cursor Dissapears in Classic Apps under X

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I have a DP1G G4, 1.5G Ram, 2 Video Cards (to run 3 montors - 1 apple 15" LCD, NEC 21" CRT, Viewsoinc 15" LCD)
When I start Classic under OSX (most recent version) I notice 2 things:

1. The cursor does not appear when I click on Classic apps, but reappears when I click on OSX apps/finder, etc.

2. The Viewsonic LCD shows a distorted image while Classic is staring.

Any ideas?

PS. I'm going to try to call apple tomorrow - tried today bu they have no record of the applecsre agreement I am now holding in my hands.
...but that's another story...

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Disappearing cursor

I had similar problems with an earlier release of OS 9/OS X except it was intermittent. Are you completely up to date on BOTH OS's? I haven't gotten OS 9 Software Update to work under OS X, so I boot into OS 9 occasionally and run it from there.

Have you tried it without the viewsonic attached?:confused:

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
Same problem on my G3 & dual monitors, however, I do not think it is a dual monitor issue.

I have fixed through this... launch Classic from the system prefs, from the Classic control panel, start classic & open extension manager.

then either turn extensions off, or only turn on the ones you absolutely need.

(ie, use the base extension set, create a new set call MacOSX Extensions or whatever, and turn on only the ones you need)

Worked great for me, and several others I have set up under OSX. You really dont need many extensions to run classic Apps, its like OSX just finds them and uses them when needed.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Concur!!

Originally posted by big

then either turn extensions off, or only turn on the ones you absolutely need.

I had forgotten about this, it also helps speed up the Classic launch - turn off filesharing and almost everything else, particularly if you have moved to Office v.X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.