Custom Bottom Plate with Battery Door for uMBPs with built-in batteries! [PICS]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 11, 2009.

1. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Since several people have been complaining about the lack of removable batteries on the new uMBP's(to be honest, I don't personally know anyone that actually carries spare batteries for their laptop). In any case, for the few people that actually do need to carry extra power on the road, why not just create a custom back plate which can easily be swapped for the factory one? The back plate would be identical but with one little upgrade - a sliding removable battery cover (such as the ones on the back of remotes/cell phones/etc.) Apple couldn't make batteries removable because the latch-release mechanism takes up too much space. This, on the other hand, is basically just the original plate but with a door cut out to access the battery. You would unscrew your original back plate, put in the custom one, and that's it. You now have the best of both worlds! A high-capacity battery that's still removable/easily accessible on-the-go. Check out my mockup and let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

2. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Don't you have to unscrew some screws to remove the battery? And how does one get a second battery?

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Not to mention how are you going to make that bottom plate strong and removable, there's not really spare room to be putting locking mechanisms there.

If people REALLY want more power get an external battery, it's the same as carrying around a second battery.