Custom install of PED3-Auto Mount from ThoughtOut.biz in Nissan Versa (w/ photos)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PecanEater, Jun 26, 2010.

1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Below are photos of my custom install of the PED3-Auto Mount from ThoughtOut.biz in my 2007 Nissan Versa.

After searching around for quite some time, I decide to go with the PED3 mount for a few reasons - high quality build (mostly metal), multiple mounting options, and the flexible arm. Upon receipt, I was very satisfied with the product.

As I noted, there are several options for installation – screws, suction cups, and adhesive. After considering several positions and exploring the options in my car, I decided not to use the mounting plate and instead installed the flexible arm directly into my dash.

After careful measurements, I found that the threaded shaft of the bolt at the end of the flexible arm was long enough to extend through the plastic dash plate and still receive a nut on the back-side. A carefully drilled a hole through the faceplate using the correct bit would also allow the threads to dig into the hard plastic of the faceplate. Moreover, as positioned, a slightly modified 1/4 bolt on the rear side of the radio faceplate falls precisely between two ridges that hold the bolt in place without allowing it to turn. This seemed like a very strong mounting and looked a lot cleaner than any other option.

Before I went ahead the downsides I considered were: 1) I would be permanently altering the radio face plate, 2) as mounted it would slightly impair my view of the radio and access to the radio controls, 3) future phones may not fit this mount.

Issue #1 was resolved. Prior to drilling the dash, I was able to get a "like new" replacement faceplate from a junked car for future use. So this became a non-issue. After some careful consideration I felt that issue #2 wasn't a real problem and that despite a disrupted sight line I could still use the radio easily. Issue #3 was a significant consideration but the PED3 mount is flexible and very accommodating (it can even hold a iPhone with some cases) so I hope it will receive future phones (i.e. the iPhone 4). Additionally, the actual phone mount is not permanently attached to the flexible arm so it is very possible that an new phone mount can be easily attached to the arm.

It's been a while (6 months+) since I did this but I thought it was still worth posting the results of my efforts. Unfortunately, I did not take photos during the install so I don’t have any shots of the rear of the panel with the bolt positioned.

So, without further ado here are the photos. I'm very happy with the outcome – a very solid but easily adjustable mount. It positions my iPhone for easy access for use in navigation, hands free Bluetooth telephone communication, and as an audio source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AnimalPetMail macrumors newbie

Sweet - way to ruin your car. Thanks for the laugh.

3. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

If you read the post, you'll see that I didn't ruin my car. Moron.

4. AnimalPetMail macrumors newbie

I guess...hard to make a Nissan Versa a less desirable option...

5. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Hard to make yourself look like more of an idiot.

6. AnimalPetMail macrumors newbie

Sweet comeback - have fun with your hatchback...

7. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

I wouldnt do that with my car, but it doesnt look like it would be hard to cover the hole if you trade the car. A rubber plug and no biggee.

Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone likes Versa's and not everyone like Prius (my car) but Im OK with that. What I'm not really OK with is folks who just have to down someone else to disagree.

So this isnt your cup of tea. Fine. Then dont do it. Climb back into your testarosa or dino and roar off and live and let live. Life will be better for you and us too.

:apple:

8. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

A couple of points:

First, in my original post I specifically note that permanently altering my car was a concern. Prior to permanently altering my car, I was able to get an exact replacement piece in new condition for $23 at a local junk yard. Once I had the replacement piece in hand this became a non-issue and I went ahead with the job. I can snap off the one I drilled and replace it with a new one in 30 min. If AnimalPetMail, the nitwit, would have read the post he would have noted this point.

Second, it's my car. If I want to drill the dash, it's my choice. I'm just sharing my experience to give others ideas about car mounts. If you don't like the approach don't do it. Who cares what kind of car I drive. It's completely besides the point. I only mention it to provide all details. Why all the hate?

Lastly, AnimalPetMail is clearly a cretin. I don't define myself by anything I own - telephone, car, or home. I don't associate with anyone who does. This fool is entitled to his opinion. I hope whatever he drives is compensating for his small brain.

9. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

word!