Custom ringtone for calls with High Sierra from iphone

ausparkapp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I have in the desire to change my ringtone when receiving a phone call with 'Continuity' between my Mac and iPhone.
I have looked into previous posts to this forum and many others over the net, but alas I can't copy my custom ringtone into the Ringtones folder as the OS blocks me from drag-n-dropping it in there.
Is there some way that I can use Terminal or other means to circumvent the OS from blocking me from using a custom ringtone for receiving phone calls on my Mac?

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
FL
off this link....https://goo.gl/ANFPHB

I managed to locate the directory where facetime stores the ringtones
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Ringtones/I tried to add a custom m4r file into that directory however facetime does not recognized it.
The only way I can get it to work for now is renaming 1 of the existing ringtone to Beacon.m4r -> Beacon-backup.m4r then rename my custom ringtone to Beacon.m4r.

Facetime plays the custom ringtone thinking it's one of the default ringtone file.

ausparkapp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
But how do you get the custom m4r file into that directory, drag and drop attempt into there is accompanied with a grey circle with a slash through it (/), I can't even screen shot it.
How do you circumvent these OS restrictions?
I am sure once the file is in the directory, it will play.