Custom SMS Tone/Ringtone thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYYankees, Mar 11, 2012.

1. NYYankees macrumors member

Hi All,

I was really looking to add the chirp tone from "The Unit" as my sms tone. I am having trouble dragging and dropping the .m4r file from my folder into iTunes -- though nothing appears in my "Tones" section when I do :(

Any ideas?

Also if you guys have any good tones you would like to share, feel free -- as I would most appreciate it. :)

2. brandyn.cook macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's the alert I use. It's a good one. In the tones tab, is the box checked to sync tones?

3. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

The easiest way I have found to deal with ringtones/tones is to create them, then double click on the ringtone and that puts it in iTunes. Then I sync the phone and everything is there. Are you manually managing music,etc.? If youa re syncing, is it checked in the Tones tab?

4. NYYankees thread starter macrumors member

Yes, great show. Can't believe they would cancel it :(

I was able to get the sms tone via a "Ringtone" app I had downloaded -- simple drag and drop did not work though.

Any other good tones you guys have? The one on 24 is also pretty good (when the phone rings)

5. brandyn.cook macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hmm. I don't know then. When I make tones/alerts, I just drag them into iTunes. As long as the tones are selected to sync it should work. Are you using Mac or pc?

6. NYYankees thread starter macrumors member

On a Macbook Pro with Lion

Also, it seems that the app "Whatsapp" doesn't allow you to use the custom tones for notifications only the stock apple ones. Oh well : /

7. brandyn.cook macrumors newbie

Yes, I have noticed that too. Whatsapp is very limited on what you can use for alerts. PM me your email and I'll send you the alert I have and you can try to drag that into iTunes.