Cut defense spending to fund education, healthcare and payback deficit?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by R.Perez, Mar 19, 2010.

1. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

[​IMG]

Just look at this

[​IMG]

Now talk about out of control spending.

Defense is the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The US definitely needs to significantly cut its defence budget.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think more important than the defense spending in the budget is the bills that pay the defense department outside this budget.

4. Queso macrumors G4

It's pretty disgusting that there's that level of expenditure going on defence when you have bridges collapsing and the like. Seriously, you could halve that, still be the biggest badass on the planet, and make the infrastructure of the USA something the rest of the world would envy.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well, when other countries stop requiring the US to be their "police" force.....

That is a role the US needs to stop doing

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Agreed. There needs to be a re-balancing. Other wealthy nations need to increase their spending and step up to the challenge to let the US reduce its defense spending.

7. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Where exactly do we need to be right now?

Maybe Darfur? I would say that's about it.

Besides, do you really think most of this spending goes to either putting boots on the ground or to troops themselves?

Most of it is on weapons spending, and a lot of those weapons were built to fight the cold war.

We could double the amount our troops get and still cut spending by 80%

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That is alot of bold statements pretending to know where the US spends their money and their needs without anything to back it up

Just saying....

Not saying I know but I doubt you have a clue either

I agree it "could probably" be reduced but without knowing a multitude of factors, you can't say how and where

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Actually, a TON of it is weapon development spending. I'm not really sure why you need to have a whole new multi billion dollar missile program simply because the new model can go 15 mph faster or comes with cup holders. :rolleyes:

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here's why. The Senators state has a plant that builds the widget.

Enuf said.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Do we have any graphs that show any US" income" for providing weapons, development research for other countries?

What about any treaty stipulations? Like our agreement with Japan for instance in providing them Naval forces?

Also, what about any "inventions" that come through in the process of defense R&D? There are alot that have trickled down for general use that originated in these programs yet that isn't reflected anywhere either

Point is....we can't fully criticize the budget without knowing all the factors

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Darfur would be counter-productive - you guys are still essentially Europeans.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I should have put a /sarcasm tag in there. I know very well the ingenious set up of the industrial military complex we have in this country. It's funny that we don't even take a presidents parting advice to heart.

14. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Here is how I would divide it up:

Keep 100 billion for defense

Double the Education budget to 120 Billion

100 billion to the deficit

100 Billion to expand Medicare to the entire population

Expend Energy to 25 Billion

Transportation to 50 Billion

10 Billion to the Social Security fund

expand housing assistance to 50 billion

Expand environmental budget to 50 billion

Increase veterans benefits by 10 billion

Increase social services (food stamps, welfare, unemployment support) by 10 billion

Split the remaining 5.3 billion to the rest or add to the amount paid back on the deficit.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

In the long run this will probably have to happen, but right now (despite how we got there) we have men and women in harm's way. Things are going to be more expensive right now.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Ok. I'm in. Anything to readjust the existing lack of balance and to decrease the outrageous spending on our military - which we can't afford. The bottom line is that we are ruining ourselves and our children and grandchildren. There have to be more of us who simply can't believe that we allow ourselves to live off of the Chinese credit card. What we borrow, our children will have to pay back with interest. I hope they don't curse us too much (though they probably should).

So now what?

17. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Military spending is one of those strange political..erm.. wet fish. If you decrease spending a lot of the population and talking heads, the very ones who say in all other circumstances that the government couldn't run a nose and claim that throwing money at a problem won't help, claim the government is putting the country at risk. If you increase spending moderately, those people are happy and those in the 'center leftish' area won't complain much. BUT if you increase spending too much, then the others start raising their voices (as in the GWB era). Basically, the politically expedient course is to do nothing at all.

Also, to earlier points regarding where the US needs to be. There are plenty of places where the US didn't need to be (Iraq, Colombia) but went anyway. After creating a bunch of messes in such places, they now need to be there IMHO.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its not just about where you need to be but to start with that, Iraq and Afghanistan cannot be simply abandoned now that the commitment, whether for good or ill, has been made. Above the current military engagements, however, is the need for deterrent. The US is currently the only major democratic military force able to project a global deterrent. If more Western nations were able to fill in some of the role, maybe under a NATO leadership, the US could begin to relax this requirement. At the moment, there are too many nutjobs around to be able to put the stick down.

19. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I appreciate your input here, but I just have to fundamentally disagree.

I don't beleive that the U.S. is engaged militarily for a single genuinely positive reason.

IMHO it is about securing global dominance, and is imperialism at its worst.

There is not a single engagement I would be against pulling out of, save Haiti earthquake relief and I am pretty sure we have already started leaving Haiti.

Since 1900, the U.S. has had one just involvement in a war and that would be WWII.

That being said, we got involved to protect our own interests, not for a noble cause.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I hope you have a large monitor. To answer the original question, reducing the military budget is a must. Even if it's by 10%.

What we need is a total reduction across the board but military spending needs an audit so we can figure out what and where. And obviously military spending will need the biggest reduction.

[​IMG]

^ Just look at the Global War on Terror. 189 billion. :eek:

21. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I think it's a great idea. Trouble is that in the political climate of the past 10 years, any politician who proposes a cut in military / defense spending gets immediately and viciously attacked by his/her opponents for being "soft on terror" or "unpatriotic" or "not supporting our troops" etc etc.

So it's not going to happen until we get it through our politicians' thick heads that cutting that spending is what We the People actually want. [Edit] Or until We the People become less gullible to such fearmongering claims.

22. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Perhaps. And your graphs certainly show defense being the primary emphasis. However, since the United States Constitution specifically calls out a federal obligation for defense, and no emphasis whatsoever for healthcare or education, perhaps those should be folded into defense eh? How about a refresher; here's the Preamble to cited document; note section in bold:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

It is tempting for pacifists and progressives to ignore the dangerous threats in the world, place daisies in gun barrels, and sing Kumbaya! Moreover the men and women in the American Armed Services that stand in dangerous places and kill our enemies need our eternal support; not ungrateful civilians on the home front cutting their budget. However, should you wish to realize some cost savings in the federal budget there are numerous other avenues of pursuit; I personally would recommend entitlements for starters, then our burdensome federal workforce of civil servants that could really use pruning.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Maybe healthcare falls under one of those?

Address the topic please. Does the military budget need reducing?

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes. But so does every other department of the Federal Government. The military should not be singled out, nor should it be spared from cuts.

25. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Tell me.. Did you ever serve in an Armed Service? Which? When? How?