Cutting Own Nano-Sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by domodazzzle, Sep 13, 2012.

1. domodazzzle macrumors member

Just wondering weather the micro sim can be cut into a nano sim whilst still regaining functionality. I read this in which the manufactures said that it is not possible as the nano sim is 0.09mm thinner, but surely you could just shave that off the back with a little sandpaper. I have a spare micro sim so I'm going to give it a try now!

----------

[​IMG]

I know I've still got a bit to go around the edge but I think it'd definitely be possible if I had an iPhone 5 sim tray so I can keep on popping it back in to see when it's the right sort of size...

2. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but it's only 0.09mm difference, you can take that off with a couple swipes of sandpaper or with a nail file?

3. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

4. Baldilocks macrumors regular

Baldilocks

Yep. The thickness is one major problem. The other is not cutting into that circuit contact patch. I've messed up quite a few going from mini SIM to micro SIM to know it's not even worth trying to do it anymore. Just better off getting one from your provider.

5. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

I probably will be getting one from my provider I was just curious. Well that and I'm inpatient, Orange don't seem to have nano sims in stock yet and there's no word on weather they will in time for next friday! D:

6. scorpionuk macrumors member

No harm in trying if you have a spare micro SIM kicking around. The concern is whether or not it is possible to sand it down without damaging the circuit contacts. This could be a big problem for users of networks that don't (and won't) issue nano SIMS.

7. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

No info from O2 either

8. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

I've sanded mine down a bit to the point where the Orange logo that was on top is no longer visible but underneath it just plastic so far. I'm not really sure how much further to go as I don't have an nano sim tray to see if it's thin enough. I reckon it's definitely possible if the person is patient enough!

9. scorpionuk macrumors member

If you can get a nano SIM from Orange in time for next Friday, then it's worth testing it out before you transfer your account onto the proper thing. For Science!

10. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

haha yeah too right! I'm hoping I'll get a new one but I have literally no idea, I've ordered some free microsims from vodaphone and giffgaff so I can have a go at cutting them down when they arrive. Ideally I need a sim tray to see if it fits!

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Why are you so impatient? When you get your 5, you should be able to test this much more easily.

12. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Just for information, the plastic behind the chip on the micro sim is approximately 0.3mm thick and as such you should have no problem shaving 0.1mm off to get the thing to fit.

I will be doing this next week as my carrier is not going to be supplying nano sim cards for a few months. Annoying but I don't fancy losing my unlimited data :)

13. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

ah that's ideal! there's no word yet on how long it'll be until orange have the sims in stock, I spoke to someone from customer support and they said it might not be until October! I'm cutting mine down instead I think!

14. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, i will be trying this on a spare giffgaff sim then my one! :):)

15. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

The only thing I am not certain on is how much metal contact can safely be cut from the edges as my card has a chip length around 10mm. The actual chip itself is much smalle in the center and the metal area you see acts as the contacts. I'll cut up a spare sim later to see how much clearance we have'

16. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

just found this, has the right dimensions from going to any sim to a nano sim, seems worth a try!

17. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Thanks man!

18. Photogmatt macrumors newbie

I just cut one down, an old AT&T sim I had before i switched to StraightTalk. It wasn't that hard, and is pretty perfect. For thickness, I'll wait for the example sim that comes with it, or at least the tray. Once I know the AT&T sim is recognized by the phone, then I'll mod the straightTalk sim to fit the iPhone 5. :D

I didn't use the PDF provided, it's pretty easy to see where you have to cut anyway.

[​IMG]

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm hoping for a quick release of a nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapter like there was for the SIM-to-micro-SIM. I've got another LTE phone that takes a regular micro-SIM that I'd like to use interchangeably with the iPhone 5.

20. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Why does my sim look different?
    not so obvious where to cut it in my sim i guess....

or can someone make a paint correction and show me lines where to cut?

i cant see the obvious maybe...
    http://d.pr/i/gaQW

21. Photogmatt macrumors newbie

You're basically cutting to the gold connectors. Try using a magnifying device to be sure your scissor is set correctly. I used one normally used for electric work, I believe it's called, Helping Hands.

22. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

my sim is pretty similar to this, i'm just going to follow the pdf but try and cut as little of the gold connectors as I can.