Cyberwar and the ICBM force

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Dec 20, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sure it wouldn't be easy but I wonder if it is physically possible for a hacker to penetrate the US nuclear force? The land based missile force suffers from poor morale, aging facilities, and lack of a mission. Who knows how bad things really are? I wonder if the network physically touches the internet.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The Minuteman system is still using their original old-school 8-inch floppies for control and launch sequences, and not connected at all to the Internet, aren't they?

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Cyberwar and the ICBM force

Beats me. However, I can confirm that in 2007 our entire American GPS constellation was run by Borland Pascal running on MS-DOS. I don't suppose an ICBM needs a whole lot of memory for its targeting data. 8" floppies probably work great.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think I have an ancient book around here somewhere that contains examples of Pascal, right next to a math book that uses Fortran:p. No in all seriousness though, with something mission critical, they may be concerned about updating.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

As I recall the GPS folks were getting an update in the near future. Anyway, this code was used to maintain orbits, not for any actual GPS operations. Orbit maintenance only requires a slight nudge now and again so it's really not that resource intensive. So they told me anyway.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Our nukes are protected by the battlestar galactic defense. A system so old, modern hackers can't get in or even know how to screw with it if they did. I'll try and goggle the source later.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You can't hack it if you can't reach it. They're not connected to the Internet.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Borland Pascal was a compiler. How could it "run" anything?

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

"On."