iPhone Cydia Error: Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT is capable of.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by J41994, Jan 18, 2014.

1. J41994 macrumors newbie

I've been getting this error lately. I've gotten it before, and deleting sources always seemed to fix it..

But now I'm down to just the stock sources and 1-2 others, and it's still doing it :\

More of the error:

'Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status'

'The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Anyone know what the problem is? I don't have a ton of tweaks, and I barely have any sources now :(

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

Cydia Error: Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT is capabl...

Which repos did you add? I get that same error on different iPhones of mine each having different numbers of repos and only deleting some works. I get between 10 and 12 sources on each. My iphone 5 on ios 6 gets 15 repos easily. I'm hoping I can some how add more to my ios 7 devices.

3. SMELTN macrumors regular

SMELTN

its not about a particular repo its about the number of repos you have installed.

Best thing to do is install icleaner and select cydia and let it clear it up

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Cydia can only handle so many packages (the number of repos doesn't matter, but the number of packages in each repo does matter)
    Apparently the 2 extra repos you have loaded must have many, many packages in them.

5. stage5 macrumors member

6. J41994 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been getting this error lately. I've gotten it before, and deleting sources always seemed to fix it..

But now I'm down to just the stock sources and 1-2 others, and it's still doing it :\

----------

This did the trick, thanks! :D I already had iCleaner installed, so it was an easy fix.

Thanks again everyone

7. J41994 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to possibly prevent this again, these are the sources I currently have after cleaning:

-BigBoss
    -Cydia/Telesphoreo
    -Exile.90's Beta Repo
    -Insanelyi Repository
    -ModMyi
    -SiNfuL iPhone Repo
    -xSellize
    -ZodTTD & MacCiti

8. SMELTN macrumors regular

SMELTN

sinful and xsellize have so many packages on them, that they can cause it.

9. ttinc macrumors regular

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, many, many, many stolen apps.
    Just what we have been trying to explain to thread starter.
    Too many packages.

11. J41994 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bahaha, man, it seems like every. single. forum. has a tight nit 'cool crowd' who bark the rules. I really appreciate your guys' help, but assumptions are killer.

I have many purchased tweaks - one of them being 20 dollars (MyWi). I'll go with the generic route and tell you that I like to try out an app before I buy it. Up to you to believe me or not.

Thanks again for the help guys :)

12. c0venant macrumors regular

Today the same thing happened to me. I haven't added anything (apps/repos) in months, and suddenly I can't update my apps, I can't even search for anything or access my installed packages. All I get is a blank page. Help?

13. nabechu macrumors 6502

Remove some of the repos you've added in the past and cydia will work again.

14. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I personally use the Sinfuliphone repo not for stolen apps, but because it's bandwidth is better managed than the Bigboss Repo. Right after a jailbreak I don't have any issues accessing the Sinfuliphone repo, yet the Bigboss repo always seems bogged down. My paid tweaks I usually have to end up waiting for because they're not updated, or the Bigboss repo is too bogged down.

15. sheikhyousafi macrumors newbie

Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT is capable of.

i have the same problem. but i cannot move to cydia services. my cell hangs on "Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT is capable of". kindly suggest to solve my problm

16. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

go to the sources tab and remove the 3rd party repos until the error disappears

and then update cydia installer

17. iamnoob macrumors newbie

I deleted every source/package

:( it still won't work I don't understand please get back ASAP email me at mcjimbo54@gmail.com

Thankyou