Cyntoia Brown Granted Clemency By Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/tennessee-gov-bill-haslam-grants-172235323.html
    about time.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed, but hell, I wish he could have gone farther than that. For what she did, which definitely was a clear case of self defense, I not only wish he could have fully pardoned her, but struck the conviction from her record. While she basically is a free woman, she still is a convicted felon, which can severely hamper her future.

She's lost a lot of time from being screwed over by the courts there, and it's going to be hard (but not impossible) to get back on track.

BL.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it sure is a shame how some things follow you the rest of your life :(

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

One ray of sunshine is still better than total darkness. I'm very happy to hear this news.

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Just wanted to bump this semi-feel good story since we have so much going on this week that’s not-so-feel good.

Her sentence was commuted in January so her first day of parole eligibility is today, and this morning, Cyntoia Brown walked out of prison a “free” woman.

I say “free” because she will be on parole for the next 10 years and as @bradl said, she’s still a convicted felon. No one can give her that time back but the least you they could do is clear her record and take her off parole IMO.

Nevertheless, she’s out of prison and can begin her life. Something to be happy about.

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Not enough. Should have been overthrown and her record expunged.