D.C. Boosts Taxes on Uber, Lyft by 500 Percent

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
I was standing around at Dulles waiting for the bus to Wiehle-Reston and some Lyft person pulled up and asked me if I was Carol. And I thought I looked more like a Markus than a Carol. Tax him!

Reactions: BoxerGT2.5

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I was standing around at Dulles waiting for the bus to Wiehle-Reston and some Lyft person pulled up and asked me if I was Carol. And I thought I looked more like a Markus than a Carol. Tax him!
Maybe you look like Caroll Shelby?

Ok a 500% tax hike sounds insane, but the nominal value (equating to the tax on taxis) makes it plausible and fair.

... Now on to looking at education tax rates up here..... ;)

Reactions: MarkusL

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
This is like from a year ago, but it is interesting.

The Article said:
D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser had proposed a more modest 4.75 percent tax on ridesharing trips back in March. City Councilman Jack Evans—who also chairs Metro's board (which operates independently of the city government)—sold his colleagues on a higher tax by promising that riders wouldn't even notice it.

"No one will notice that. No passengers will know because they have no idea what they are going to pay anyway," said Evans in April. (Evans had previously described the prospect of taxing Uber as "very exciting.")
Who does Evans thinks is paying for those taxes?

So, the local government is making it more expensive to travel the way people prefer, to pay for the corrupt, unsafe, and undesired way to travel.

This kind of stuff makes me feel like the government is pushing a class-based society.

Just like tolled-express ways, licensing and registration fees of all kinds, speed and red light cameras, and many other fees/fines, the government is making it so people with the means can use these services (or violate the law), while the people without have to live by a separate set of rules.

I know it would complicate things a bit, but I think fees and fines should be progressively tiered based on income, along with anything taxed/government based.

It also reminds me of Al Gore telling the little people to ride a bike to work so we can save the planet, while he uses many times the resources than the little people he preaches to. The little people should be riding the unsafe mass transit system, while a certain group can travel how they would like.

I know it isn't a huge difference in what the user is paying, but I have a feeling that this is just the beginning. Also, when you add up all the ways that the govern makes things, especially commuting more expensive, those little amounts here and there, end up costing a lot over time.