Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Suppose you have a backup on computer A for "Dad's iPhone 4". Dad uses this backup to initialize Dad's new iPhone 4s. All is fine and dandy! He has 2 phones with the same stuff on them. Now Dad has the bright idea of hooking his old iPhone 4 up to his kid's machine (computer B) so he can give the iPhone to his kid. At that point, everything on Dad's iPhone is erased (no big deal, right - it's backed up!). THEN, he sees this sad empty iPhone and has the bright idea to hook it BACK up to computer A to put his stuff back on it (his kid can't afford to buy his own apps). So he plugs it into computer A. Computer A immediately makes a new backup of the empty iPhone, and deletes the old backup that actually had stuff in it. Hmmm, that's not what he wanted. Where did all of the old apps go?? So then he repeats the simple steps that he KNOWS just worked a few hours ago, and restores his iPhone 4s from the iPhone 4 backup to prove to his kid that it works. Yay - 2 empty iPhones, and 2 empty backups!!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Suppose you have a backup on computer A for "Dad's iPhone 4". Dad uses this backup to initialize Dad's new iPhone 4s. All is fine and dandy! He has 2 phones with the same stuff on them. Now Dad has the bright idea of hooking his old iPhone 4 up to his kid's machine (computer B) so he can give the iPhone to his kid. At that point, everything on Dad's iPhone is erased (no big deal, right - it's backed up!). THEN, he sees this sad empty iPhone and has the bright idea to hook it BACK up to computer A to put his stuff back on it (his kid can't afford to buy his own apps). So he plugs it into computer A. Computer A immediately makes a new backup of the empty iPhone, and deletes the old backup that actually had stuff in it. Hmmm, that's not what he wanted. Where did all of the old apps go?? So then he repeats the simple steps that he KNOWS just worked a few hours ago, and restores his iPhone 4s from the iPhone 4 backup to prove to his kid that it works. Yay - 2 empty iPhones, and 2 empty backups!!

It doesn't necessarily delete the old backup. You can select an earlier backup to restore from in iTunes.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

Who is that Dad? Homer Simpson? :D

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
It doesn't necessarily delete the old backup. You can select an earlier backup to restore from in iTunes.

That used to be true when iTunes stored multiple backups. But it now only keeps 1 backup, so unless you saved an old backup manually, you're out of luck!

PittShark

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Not trying to thread-jack here, but this is an appropriate thread to ask a question I had about a similar scenario. My iP5 should be here tomorrow, and even though this is my first time upgrading from one iPhone to another, I'm pretty confident with how to get my new one loaded up from my iCloud backup. The question I have is concerning the iPhone 4 that I'm coming from. I'm actually giving it to my girlfriend, and she'll have her own iTunes/iCloud control/everything she needs on a different computer. This issue is that she was hoping that we can leave everything on the phone as she wants most the apps I have on there and everything. I told her I doubt we can do that, and that when most people pass phones off to someone else, they usually do a system restore, and the only thing we can try is to let it sync as-is and see if the stuff stays on the phone. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, I get the impression that if you do that, it'll automatically wipe all that stuff off the phone anyway since it's pairing with an empty iTunes. I told her it's not a big deal, she'll just need to spend some time downloading whatever she wants from the App Store. Can anyone confirm that I'm correct on this?

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Friggin Dads.

I wiped my sisters 3gs when upgrading... Well didn't mean to. It did a backup and then said it couldn't restore the backup as it was corrupt. I said

"deal with it.. I just updated your phone"

Sometiems its good to start over. I backed up her photos before hand so she didn't care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.