Dad Shoots Daughter After Mistaking Her For Burglar In Virginia

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
This was a cop and it shows how unreliable it is for a homeowner to defend their homes. This cop did not call out or anything it seems so he seems poorly trained.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/easton-mcdonald-shoots-daughter_n_5676486.html

A 16-year-old girl in Frederick County, Virginia, is recovering from a gunshot wound inflicted by her father, a law enforcement official said.

The shooting was a case of mistaken identity and happened early Tuesday morning when the teen tried to sneak into her house through the garage.

The father, Easton McDonald, was allegedly getting ready for his job as a deputy with the Loudon County Sheriff's Department when he heard an alarm triggered in the garage.

McDonald grabbed a firearm because he heard a bang and other sounds from inside the attached garage. When he opened the door, he allegedly fired at the person he saw coming toward him, the Winchester Star reports.

After he turned on the light, he realized the intruder was his daughter, who had snuck out earlier in the evening and was possibly trying to get back in without getting caught.

The girl, whose name has not been released, suffered bullet wounds in her torso.

McDonald attempted to drive his daughter to a local hospital, but wrecked his car on the way there.

A fire and rescue team took the girl the rest of the way to the hospital where she is recovering, Raw Story reports.

Donnie Lang of the Frederick County Sheriff's Department where the shooting and car crash took place, said no one's decided whether any charges will be filed.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Well, at least the father and the daughter both survived. No doubt there will be a lot of harsh comments about this in these forums, but just remember that in some rural areas the response time of the police can be quite long, so the father could not expect backup. I can understand the panic the father might have felt (ironically I suspect he was thinking of protecting his daughter), but one of the many reasons I would never own a gun is that I never want to be confronted with the decision to shoot or not to shoot....

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
It was a mistake the father made. I'm glad he was armed. He was very well protected, just needs to learn to be more careful.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It was a mistake the father made. I'm glad he was armed. He was very well protected, just needs to learn to be more careful.

Yes, that's what we need to take away from this story, the guy needs to be more careful. :rolleyes:

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Yes, that's what we need to take away from this story, the guy needs to be more careful. :rolleyes:

My intention for the comment was because I know the gun haters on the forum will all be saying this is why guns are bad.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
...and it's important to be well armed and well protected from his daughter, who clearly represented an imminent threat to dad's life and property.

It's good to shoot with no warning...those daughters can be very dangerous if they know that they're about to be shot.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
We all have the luxury of not being in a position of having to make a split second decision as we analyze this. When you alarm goes off and you are hearing noises coming from your garage, you go into protection mode. You believe your child is sleeping in the house and you want to make sure no harm comes to her from a burglar or worse.

I read this news story to my 11-year-old daughter this morning. Her first reaction was to tell me that the girl was stupid. When I inquired for more, she said that obviously the girl knew her dad was a cop and that the house had an alarm. A viewpoint that I hadn't thought of... Oh, she added a "Duh".

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Probably thought it was her daughter's boyfriend trying to sneak in again. :eek:

Sucks to shoot the daughter by mistake, crash the family car, and be investigated by your employer all in a flash.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Probably thought it was her daughter's boyfriend trying to sneak in again. :eek:

Sucks to shoot the daughter by mistake, crash the family car, and be investigated by your employer all in a flash.
Sucks worse to be shot by your father...all in a flash.

Let us now commence to point out the daughter's foolish behavior and the advantages of being well armed...and all the rest of the usual arguments by the usual suspects.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I'm interested in the bolded part.

Why are you "glad" he was armed, especially in light of what transpired?

Why does his owning a gun make you happy?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Sucks worse to be shot by your father...all in a flash.

Let us now commence to point out the daughter's foolish behavior and the advantages of being well armed...and all the rest of the usual arguments by the usual suspects.
I'll bet she will NOT be sneaking in through the garage, again.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
We all have the luxury of not being in a position of having to make a split second decision as we analyze this. When you alarm goes off and you are hearing noises coming from your garage, you go into protection mode. You believe your child is sleeping in the house and you want to make sure no harm comes to her from a burglar or worse.

I read this news story to my 11-year-old daughter this morning. Her first reaction was to tell me that the girl was stupid. When I inquired for more, she said that obviously the girl knew her dad was a cop and that the house had an alarm. A viewpoint that I hadn't thought of... Oh, she added a "Duh".

I agree completely. He was concerned about the noises he heard and the alarm going off, not to mention his daughter (and maybe even more kids and a wife too, possibly some pets) being asleep in the house so of course the prudent thing to do is open the locked door between the garage and the house removing the barrier of entry to the person or persons breaking in. Shooting blindly at a shadow is also pretty prudent, especially for a trained LEO. :rolleyes:

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Dad Shoots Daughter After Mistaking Her For Burglar In Virginia

I'm interested in the bolded part.

Why are you "glad" he was armed, especially in light of what transpired?

Why does his owning a gun make you happy?

Because I have personally been in a few life threatening situations where I am sure having a gun saved my life. I've been robbed 3x and while I've never had to actually shoot a robber, I'm sure having the gun helped show authority.

Now, did he need to arm himself against his daughter? Obviously not. What I was saying is that I'm glad he was armed and ready for what he though it was (a robbery)

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Because I have personally been in a few life threatening situations where I am sure having a gun saved my life. I've been robbed 3x and while I've never had to actually shoot a robber, I'm sure having the fun helped show authority.

Now, did he need to arm himself against his daughter? Obviously not. What I was saying is that I'm glad he was armed and ready for what he though it was (a robbery)
Freud is laughing his butt off about now...

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Because I have personally been in a few life threatening situations where I am sure having a gun saved my life. I've been robbed 3x and while I've never had to actually shoot a robber, I'm sure having the gun helped show authority.

So the bottom line is you're happy to hear when anybody owns a gun?

Would you prefer to see more people armed?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This man should be charged and put in prison. How much more irresponsible and negligent can you be?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Lucky girl. Thankfully her father didn't kill her. Thank goodness nobody owns a gun in my house, I'm always sneaking in at absurd times in the morning.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Glad I live in a country where if you hear a noise in your garage and an alarm going off, the first thing you do isn't shoot wildly into the garage.

But given the gun crime in the US, I take a little sympathy with the father given he was convinced it was an intruder with a high chance of being armed.

I don't blame the daughter at all. She's a teenager, an idiot for sneaking out and failing to sneak back in, but it was hardly on her mind that she might get shot for doing it..

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Yep. It's horrific the amount of casualties that have amounted due to mistakes. Guns, without a doubt, should not be legal to own.
There are 300 million guns in the United States. Getting rid of them is not really an option.

The number of privately owned guns in the U.S. is at an all-time high, upwards of 300 million, and now rises by about 10 million per year.1 Meanwhile, the firearm accident death rate has fallen to an all-time low, 0.2 per 100,000 population, down 94% since the all-time high in 1904.2 Since 1930, the annual number of firearm accident deaths has decreased 81%, while the U.S. population has more than doubled and the number of firearms has quintupled. Among children, such deaths have decreased 89% since 1975. Today, the odds are more than a million to one, against a child in the U.S. dying in a firearm accident.

Firearms are involved in 0.5% of accidental deaths nationally, compared to motor vehicles (29%), poisoning (27%), falls (21%), suffocation (5%), drowning (3%), fires (2%), medical mistakes (1.7%), environmental factors (1.3%), and pedal cycles (0.6%). Among children: motor vehicles (34%), suffocation (27%), drowning (17%), fires (7%), environmental factors (2.3%), poisoning (2.2%), falls (1.5%), firearm (1.5), pedal cycles (1.4%), and medical mistakes (1.3%).
nra

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
And what you took from this story was a chance at cheap sarcasm. Well done indeed. Why don't you tell us what the moral of the story is?

----------

...and it's important to be well armed and well protected from his daughter, who clearly represented an imminent threat to dad's life and property.

It's good to shoot with no warning...those daughters can be very dangerous if they know that they're about to be shot.
But who protects us from the obtuse?