Dad Shoots Daughter After Mistaking Her For Burglar In Virginia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 14, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

This was a cop and it shows how unreliable it is for a homeowner to defend their homes. This cop did not call out or anything it seems so he seems poorly trained.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/easton-mcdonald-shoots-daughter_n_5676486.html

A 16-year-old girl in Frederick County, Virginia, is recovering from a gunshot wound inflicted by her father, a law enforcement official said.

The shooting was a case of mistaken identity and happened early Tuesday morning when the teen tried to sneak into her house through the garage.

The father, Easton McDonald, was allegedly getting ready for his job as a deputy with the Loudon County Sheriff's Department when he heard an alarm triggered in the garage.

McDonald grabbed a firearm because he heard a bang and other sounds from inside the attached garage. When he opened the door, he allegedly fired at the person he saw coming toward him, the Winchester Star reports.

After he turned on the light, he realized the intruder was his daughter, who had snuck out earlier in the evening and was possibly trying to get back in without getting caught.

The girl, whose name has not been released, suffered bullet wounds in her torso.

McDonald attempted to drive his daughter to a local hospital, but wrecked his car on the way there.

A fire and rescue team took the girl the rest of the way to the hospital where she is recovering, Raw Story reports.

Donnie Lang of the Frederick County Sheriff's Department where the shooting and car crash took place, said no one's decided whether any charges will be filed.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, at least the father and the daughter both survived. No doubt there will be a lot of harsh comments about this in these forums, but just remember that in some rural areas the response time of the police can be quite long, so the father could not expect backup. I can understand the panic the father might have felt (ironically I suspect he was thinking of protecting his daughter), but one of the many reasons I would never own a gun is that I never want to be confronted with the decision to shoot or not to shoot....

3. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

It was a mistake the father made. I'm glad he was armed. He was very well protected, just needs to learn to be more careful.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, that's what we need to take away from this story, the guy needs to be more careful. :rolleyes:

5. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

My intention for the comment was because I know the gun haters on the forum will all be saying this is why guns are bad.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

...and it's important to be well armed and well protected from his daughter, who clearly represented an imminent threat to dad's life and property.

It's good to shoot with no warning...those daughters can be very dangerous if they know that they're about to be shot.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We all have the luxury of not being in a position of having to make a split second decision as we analyze this. When you alarm goes off and you are hearing noises coming from your garage, you go into protection mode. You believe your child is sleeping in the house and you want to make sure no harm comes to her from a burglar or worse.

I read this news story to my 11-year-old daughter this morning. Her first reaction was to tell me that the girl was stupid. When I inquired for more, she said that obviously the girl knew her dad was a cop and that the house had an alarm. A viewpoint that I hadn't thought of... Oh, she added a "Duh".

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably thought it was her daughter's boyfriend trying to sneak in again. :eek:

Sucks to shoot the daughter by mistake, crash the family car, and be investigated by your employer all in a flash.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sucks worse to be shot by your father...all in a flash.

Let us now commence to point out the daughter's foolish behavior and the advantages of being well armed...and all the rest of the usual arguments by the usual suspects.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm interested in the bolded part.

Why are you "glad" he was armed, especially in light of what transpired?

Why does his owning a gun make you happy?

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'll bet she will NOT be sneaking in through the garage, again.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree completely. He was concerned about the noises he heard and the alarm going off, not to mention his daughter (and maybe even more kids and a wife too, possibly some pets) being asleep in the house so of course the prudent thing to do is open the locked door between the garage and the house removing the barrier of entry to the person or persons breaking in. Shooting blindly at a shadow is also pretty prudent, especially for a trained LEO. :rolleyes:

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sure the daughter is laughing at such clever jokes...my guess is being shot "in the torso" is just a laff riot.

14. markyr17, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Dad Shoots Daughter After Mistaking Her For Burglar In Virginia

Because I have personally been in a few life threatening situations where I am sure having a gun saved my life. I've been robbed 3x and while I've never had to actually shoot a robber, I'm sure having the gun helped show authority.

Now, did he need to arm himself against his daughter? Obviously not. What I was saying is that I'm glad he was armed and ready for what he though it was (a robbery)

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Freud is laughing his butt off about now...

16. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Damn small iPhone keyboard

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So the bottom line is you're happy to hear when anybody owns a gun?

Would you prefer to see more people armed?

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This man should be charged and put in prison. How much more irresponsible and negligent can you be?

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Guns are bad! OMG! Statistics show if you have a gun nearby or in your house you're 69% to shoot yourself or someone else!

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Lucky girl. Thankfully her father didn't kill her. Thank goodness nobody owns a gun in my house, I'm always sneaking in at absurd times in the morning.

21. kolax macrumors G3

Glad I live in a country where if you hear a noise in your garage and an alarm going off, the first thing you do isn't shoot wildly into the garage.

But given the gun crime in the US, I take a little sympathy with the father given he was convinced it was an intruder with a high chance of being armed.

I don't blame the daughter at all. She's a teenager, an idiot for sneaking out and failing to sneak back in, but it was hardly on her mind that she might get shot for doing it..

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

There are 300 million guns in the United States. Getting rid of them is not really an option.

nra

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

And what you took from this story was a chance at cheap sarcasm. Well done indeed. Why don't you tell us what the moral of the story is?

----------

But who protects us from the obtuse?