Dad's video of run-down barracks sparks military response

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, May 1, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Absolutely disgusting that we even let this happen:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/28/barracks.bragg/index.html
    Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46vYZFU1Dew

Meanwhile:

Is There an Army Cover Up of Rape and Murder of Women Soldiers?

And:

US troop deaths hit 7-month high in Iraq

Support the troops?

2. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

All those threads on gasoline and Rev. Wright and how awesome Hillary apparently is. Nothing on this? Really? Wasn't expecting anyone to defend it, necessarily, but a little righteous indignation is call for right? Anyone call or write their Congressperson? I get the feeling some have that there's nothing any of us can do, but still.

I keep seeing the yellow ribbons and people saying "support the troops", but things like this keep happening, you'd think people would be more upset.

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hmm. I think I heard something about this on NPR the other day. I guess I'm going to have to fire off some more emails to my congress critters.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

They should definitely take care of this. We learned our lesson in our area when Ft. Chaffee burned down. It was a very run down place.

jon

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I believe they are building new barracks but like anything govt., it ain't happenin' fast enough.

6. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

the amount of women dying from "non-combat related deaths" is quite alarming too.

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Silly. Everyone knows that all you have to do is wave the flag, get teary eyed when you hear a patriotic song, and fly a ribbon to say you support the troops!

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the problem is that the conditions should've never gotten this bad in the first place.

its sad that it took a public outcry for something to get done

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean anything that happens with Bush's government. If you're gonna wage an unjustified lie of a war and send my friends and relatives, you damn well better take care of them. :mad:

To solvs- no one is really surprised anymore with anything regarding the war. People are sick of it and really don't want to hear about it anymore. It's not that they don't care, it's just that people can only take so much.

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

This is poor post leadership and really has nothing to do with Bush or supporting the troops. I have worked on several military bases as a civil engineer and never would we have allowed a barracks or dorm to get into this type of shape. If the officer in charge of base maintenance does not have the budget to perform these repairs he needs to reprioritize his budget. Sometimes, when money is tight, you have to make tough decisions like do we fix the barracks or do we cut the grass around the post commanders quarters.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And why would money be tight? Tax cuts during a war anyone?

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You'd think after Walter Reed the military would've been more diligent in making sure soldiers weren't housed in slums.

Hey, a little manicured lawn goes a long way in improving base morale.:p

Lethal

13. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You'd think that. Unfortunately for the military that doesn't seem to be the case.

14. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

More (and even worse):

Despite Alert, Flawed Wiring Still Kills G.I.’s
    Contractors Still Electrocuting Troops

My Friend's Son Killed in Iraq: By Contractors and U.S. Agency?
    I'm sure glad there are people in Congress wearing flag pins though. :rolleyes:

15. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Post-War Suicides May Exceed Combat Deaths, U.S. Says
    And nothing in the MSM. More on Pat Tillman too. Still disgusting:

What Really Happened To Pat Tillman?

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't believe "tight budget" fits the fact that the US spends as much on their defense department as the rest of the world combined

17. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate... the US Army is fighting two overseas wars. They probably have more important things to spend their money on than barracks back home, for example ammo and rations.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Of course it still fits. Tight budget has nothing to do with the size of the budget. It has to do with the amount of money available to do extra things. For example, if I had $100K in credit card debt, my budget would be tight making $50,000 a year, while if I had no debt, my budget would not be tight making that salary. Compared to years past, the military budget for base maintenance is very tight. Money has been taken to pay for operational costs and at the same time energy costs (which are a part of base maintenance) have risen. That means with the little amount of money left, the base maintenance officer needs to prioritize to take care of the people and facilities he/she is in charge of. The officer in this case did not prioritize well.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Neither did Bush when he started an unjustified war and then lowered taxes (not to mention the fact that he spends like Paris Hilton on a 5th Avenue shopping spree) on top of it. He's linked to the problem whether we like it or not. He's the "Commander-in Chief"-unfortunately for us all. My cousin went back to Iraq in April, and things like this don't sit well with me or anyone else who's got someone in the military over there.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Indeed, people are no longer surprised by this sort of news.

21. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree completely that Bush has prioritized poorly, but the fact that this base maintenance officer made the decision to not maintain this barracks because a new one was already being constructed has nothing to do with Bush. The people who should be taking responsibility for this problem are the base maintenance officer and the base commander. They are the ones that were aware of the problems and didn't take the necessary steps to fix them.

22. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

The no money excuse doesn't cut it. We're spending like drunken sailors already, we better be spending on things like this. If we don't have the money for it, or it isn't being spent right, they shouldn't be spending the money to sent them over there in the first place. If the local commanders aren't doing it, someone higher up should be.

We Owe Them Better