DADT dead on September 20, 2011

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

That is major good news to all those who have served or are serving. Certainly another step in the right direction.
    KGB:)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Another victory for the Constitution. Thank you, yet again, to Democrats for advancing the principals our founding fathers stood for and fighting against the bigotry and hatred of the closed minded.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

And some republican congress members are STILL whining about it. Their lives must be so miserable if they care so deeply about restricting the rights of others. Next on the chopping block...DOMA

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

NPR's interview this morning with Maj. Darrel Choat was pretty cool. Although officially, I do have to say wearing a t-shirt with a printed slogan over your shirt and tie is atrocious behavior and worthy of court-martialing. :p

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

One more victory for sensible people and one more loss for the bigots! It's a good day! Marriage equality is next!

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wonder who the bigoted individual is that keeps making equality post with a negative rating. (Because equality is just so HORRIBLE!!! Don't worry, I fixed those ratings with ratings of my own..lol). Guess they are too cowardly to post anything. And I just love it. As the gays come out, the bigots go into a closet and under the rock that they should have been under all along.

Bigotry should never be acceptable in a free society. Here's to the fall of DADT. May DOMA follow soon. There's no reason that all people shouldn't be treated equally and have the same rights in a free country. None at all.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bigots are also generally cowards. None of them would have the courage to do what the airman in the video I posted did today.

Thing is- deep down, they know the only reason for being the way they are is because they hate us.

11. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Hey Lee, You're right, it was very nice and managed to move an embittered bastard like me.
    KGB:)

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What bothers me about DADT being repealed is it took way to damn long.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So you also said at 2:30 AM this morning.

I guess you're just a 'half-empty' kind of guy?

14. Signal-11, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

A fine day. Long overdue.

The real shame is that its going to take another decade or two for those who are still against gay service members to be too embarrassed and ashamed to admit that they were.

-Signal-11
    Former US Army 11A

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, I liked it a lot.

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow, that was a pretty emotional video. I always say that if people had just one gay person close to them in their lives, their views would change. I have a feeling if this kid was straight, his dad would probably be against gay rights and all that, but now that he found out his son is gay, he will have a complete change of heart and will be a gay rights advocate. This is why more gay people need to come out and be open about who they are, it will change the hearts and minds of people around them.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, now we have a whole new group of people who will now be able to do just that. :)

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

sure but a Republican from Massachusetts played a very prominent role in making this reality, yes i said a Republican from Massachusetts.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yep, it's incredible. To me it symbolizes america growing up, we always get it right eventually! I never even thought much about this issue until about 5 years ago when my parents decided to have 25 year reunion party for a law firm my mom worked for in the 80's. She invited a lesbian couple that she worked with who have been together for 30 years now, and when we were having dinner they were telling us how degrading it was not to be able to marry and all the problems it causes for them. Lucky for them, they live in NY and can marry today. :)

Good. Republicans with logic and common sense need to speak up and let their voice be heard, because as of now their party has been hijacked by right wing extremists.