DADT Repeal Effort Begins

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 28, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This seems to be progressing nicely.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/01/28/DADT_Repeal_Effort_Begins/

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It's good to hear that same sex couples will be receiving the same benefits as hetero couples in the military. The next logical step will be to legalize gay marriage, and surprisingly i think that the effort for it will come from the military. Good stuff. I wonder what they're planning on doing with housing though... are they planning on segregating gays?

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Why?

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

"Also being addressed are changes to recruiting, training, housing,"

That quote just makes me wonder what changes there will be to recruitment, training and housing. I don't think there should be any changes.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Dan Choi Told To Repay Military $2,500 After Being Discharged Under DADT

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Recruitment: Members of certain fringe organizations, such as violent white supremacist groups, may be rejected. Should the same be true for certain recognized antigay hate groups?

Training: Do some people need the "homos aren't hiding out waiting to jump you in the shower" speech? Certainly so. Training could include information campaigns and remediation where needed.

Housing: Married soldiers may request housing, and more importantly, stationing together. Even though gay soldiers may actually be married under the laws of some states, current federal law prohibits the federal government from recognizing those marriages. How can the housing policy reflect the Army's intent to support committed partnerships?

On the other hand, unmarried soldiers of the opposite sex are forbidden to request housing as "roommates" where applicable but unmarried soldiers of the same sex may. Would the Army be forced into the unfortunate position of reinstituting "investigations" into soldiers' personal lives in order to preserve the Army's intent to forbid "shacking up" within the ranks?

There will be changes needed, but there is no reason to assume they will necessarily be bad changes rooted in prejudice.